While as a faith-based university, we’re less concerned about numbers than people, sometimes all you need is just the facts. Here are few basics we think are pretty helpful. If you'd like a more detailed look at the institution, you may download and read our 2016 Annual Report.
Who We Are
Lipscomb University is a Christian institution that is joyfully and energetically committed to creating students whose academic excellence, faith and practice, and community service reflect our ideals of global citizenship. We believe that knowing what grows us is also what grounds us.
What We Offer
Students at Lipscomb University may earn a bachelor’s degree in 176 fields of undergraduate study, several pre-professional programs, an accelerated adult degree program and a competency-based program. Lipscomb also offers 24 master's degrees, eight Ed.S. degrees, 23 graduate certificate programs and six dual degrees. Lipscomb's academic programs include doctoral degrees in pharmacy, education and ministry and an associate degree offered to residents of the Tennessee Prison for Women.
Founded in 1891 by David Lipscomb and James A. Harding as Nashville Bible School, Lipscomb University is affiliated with the Churches of Christ.
The residential campus is located in the Green Hills area of Nashville, Tenn. There are four off-campus program opportunities (Downtown Nashville, Murfreesboro, Cool Springs, Sumner County).
Lipscomb University's official total enrollment was 4,642 in Fall 2017. For those that like a bit more detail, below is a breakdown of our enrollment numbers.
Student Body Profile
Religious Preferences Represented: 35
States Represented (including Washington, D.C. & Puerto Rico): 49
Nations Represented: 50
Ethnic Minority Students: 1,075 (23%)
Increase in Minority Enrollment (since 2005): 365%
Tuition & Faculty
Block rate for 12-18 hours each fall and spring semester 2017-18: $28,556
Full-time equivalent faculty: 327
Student/Faculty Ratio: 14 to 1
Lipscomb’s men’s and women’s sports teams compete in NCAA’s Division I, Atlantic Sun Conference, which includes universities from Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and Florida.
Awards & Recognitions
- With an overall ranking of 18 in the Regional Universities-South category, U.S. News and World Report’s “2016 America’s Best Colleges” guidebook included Lipscomb among the South’s nine most innovative universities and named the college one of the best in the region for veterans and one of the top “A+ Schools for B Students.”
- The College of Education’s secondary teacher preparation program was named No. 1 in the nation in the 2014 National Council on Teacher Quality’s Teacher Prep Review. The college’s graduate elementary grades program was ranked No. 14, and both programs combined were ranked No. 1 in the South.
- The College of Education was also ranked the No. 15 best value in the nation by the National Council on Teacher Quality in 2015.
- The School of Music has achieved All-Steinway School status, a designation awarded by Steinway & Sons to universities, conservatories and other schools of distinction that use all Steinway pianos. Only 171 institutions around the world have this designation in 2015.
- For the for the second year in a row, Lipscomb University was named to the Kiplinger Personal Finance list of 100 best values in private universities.
- The College of Business’ Master of Business Administration program is ranked among the best in the nation by Bloomberg Businessweek.
- The Lipscomb Bisons were named the 2013-14 Atlantic Sun Conference Academic Champions with 78.83 percent of the student-athletes on campus posting a 3.0 grade-point average or better.
- The College of Pharmacy was awarded a National Institutes of Health grant for $660,000. This was the largest research grant in university history.
- Lipscomb Academy elementary school was one of only 10 schools in the nation named a 2013 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School.
- Military Advanced Education awarded Lipscomb the designation of a “Top Military-Friendly University” in its newly released “2015 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities.”
- Included among the 311 (or almost 8 percent) of universities in the nation to achieve the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching Community Engagement Classification.
- Selected as one of the country’s most environmentally responsible colleges to be included in the 2014 “The Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges.”
Academic accreditations and memberships
Lipscomb University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lipscomb University.
Lipscomb University was reaffirmed in 2007 and found to be in compliance with all 85 standards.
Liberal Arts & Sciences
Chemistry—American Chemical Society (ACS)
Sociology & Social Work—Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
Clinical Mental Health Counseling—Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
Psychology—Approved Center of Play Therapy Education
Bible & Ministry
Hazelip School of Theology—Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), includes an additional accreditation in accounting
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB member)
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
Tennessee State Board of Education (TNSBE)
Entertainment & the Arts
Music—National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Pharmacy—Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
Nutrition—Didactic Program & Internship in Dietetics
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
Nursing—Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
Electrical and Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.