Information Technology Services
We’re here to serve and support students, staff and faculty at Lipscomb. Whether your needs are network, telephone, software, computer support or training, we’re here to meet that need.
At Lipscomb University, we use a procedure known as Single-Sign On (SSO), a process where one account signs you into every available app. To make this possible, you need a single 'entry point' for all the available possibilities. This entry point is the my.Lipscomb Portal. Every account needs to access the my.lipscomb.edu Portal first, and then login to all of the other apps.
Every Lipscomb account uses SSO (Single Sign-On) through the Microsoft Sign-In page.
Each account has access to features and licenses from Google and Microsoft. These include things like:
- My Lipscomb Portal
- Office 365 Apps
- Microsoft online
- Gmail (email)
- Google Drive (backup)
- other Google apps like Calendar
See the sections below for more information on each of these products.
The basic information that you will need to setup your account is your primary email address and your Lipscomb ID number provided to you by Admissions and is in your Bison Admissions Portal.
1. The first thing you need to do is setup a password:
- Go to my.lipscomb.edu. This is the main portal, also known as the my.Lipscomb Portal. This will be your entrance point for everything you need as a student at Lipscomb.
- Sign in with your full Lipscomb email address: email@example.com
- On the password page, click "Forgot Password"
- On the next page, enter your full email address again and enter other information as requested.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to be sent a code/link by some method. On your application for Lipscomb, you used a personal email or phone number. Please use that number or email address to either receive an email or text with a code.
- Once you receive the code/link, you will be able to set your password. This will be your regular account password.
2. Once you have created a password, you will be prompted to set up 2 things:
- Recovery Options. An email, security questions, or a phone #. These will allow you to get back into your account if you forget your password.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). You can use either a phone call, text message, or an authenticator app for your second authentication. We support the Microsoft, Google, Duo and LastPass authenticator apps that are available from your Appstore.
- For more information and to help set up your MFA , please follow the link for our MFA Setup page.
This should get your account fully setup and logged in. You will know you are logged in when you reach the my.Lipscomb Portal page (look for the my.Lipsomb title and purple boxes ).
3. Login to your Student Email. Once in the my.Lipscomb portal, the third thing you need to do is login to your Student email.
- There is a link on the main Portal homepage under Quick Access and on the All Apps page for “Student Gmail SSO” (we use a Gmail backed system). Follow the link to sign in.
- Once you sign in there, you can setup your email on a mobile device if you would like, such as the Gmail app. You will login to Gmail with your Lipscomb email address and password.
MyLipscomb is the main Portal for all Lipscomb University students and employees. In order to access your myLipscomb account, first go to my.lipscomb.edu and use your full email address and password to sign-in. With Lipscomb’s SSO (Single Sign-On) procedures, it is best to access the my.Lipscomb Portal and then access anything that you need.
MyLipscomb is a constantly changing portal of information. It will be the place to go for much of the information you need while here at Lipscomb. The main Portal Homepage has quick access to the things you need most as a student, while the All Apps page provides you with all the programs and applications you need while at Lipscomb. The Student Offices & Services page contains even more resources vital to your student life.
If you experience issues with the myLipscomb portal please let the Information Technology Help Desk know. Please provide as much information about the system you are on and if possible provide a screenshot of the browser window.
Lipscomb utilizes Google Apps for Education for email and cloud-based storage for all students, employees and recent alumni. This means that we use Google for Gmail, and as well have access to Google Drive, Calendar, and other Google Apps.
To Access your Gmail Account
- The first time you access your gmail account must be done inside the my.Lipscomb Portal. With SSO (Single Sign-On), you will initialize and verify your account from within my.Lipscomb. Click on the ‘Student Gmail SSO’ link to access your account.
- Following that, you can access your account from any device supported by Google.
- If you would like, you can set up your Gmail on your mobile device. Most mobile devices now come with a Google account type already installed. To add your email, calendar and contacts to a mobile device, simply add an email account using the Google account type and log into your account with your full email address and your password.
- If a Google account type is not available on your device, you may need to download the Gmail app from your app store.
- You can also access your Google Drive files from a mobile device using the Google Drive app available from your app store.
FAQ’s on Gmail and Google
How do I get to my email?
- Go to gmail.com and sign in with your email address (format firstname.lastname@example.org) and your password.
When I click the link for my student mail from myLipscomb, it sends me to Gmail?
- Lipscomb email is powered by Gmail. Simply log on to gmail.com with your Lipscomb email address (format email@example.com) and your Lipscomb password.
When I click the link for my student mail from myLipscomb, my personal Gmail account comes up instead of my Lipscomb email?
- If you already have a Google account, you will need to click the top right corner and then click “Add Account” or choose “Sign Out”. Then sign on with your Lipscomb email address (format firstname.lastname@example.org) and your Lipscomb password.
What if I want/need to reset my password?
- Your password is linked to all your Lipscomb accounts, including myLipscomb, Gmail, Canvas, wifi network logon, etc. To change this password, you can do so by clicking the “Forgot my password” link from within Google or my.Lipscomb sign in pages. It will take you to a Microsoft Password reset page. https://passwordreset.microsoftonline.com/?whr=lipscomb.edu . You should already have recovery options setup to help you with this process.
How do I access the other Google Apps?
- You have access to a number of Google apps such as Drive, Calendar, etc in your student account. From within Gmail, you can click on the App Launcher icon and select the app you want. These apps can also be accessed directly by inputting the address ____.google.com, where the ____ (blank) is changed to the name of the app you want, such as drive.google.com or calendar.google.com.
I received a notice about an issue with my account, asking me to click a link and give my username and password. Is this a legitimate message from Lipscomb?
- Please be wary of any email claiming to be from Lipscomb asking to update, verify, or in any other way disclose your account information online. Always manually enter the address for any website that is account related such as my.lipscomb.edu or gmail.com — never click on a link from within an email to log on.
None of the above steps has helped, and I still am unable to connect to my email!
Please call the Helpdesk at (615) 966-1777 or send an email to email@example.com from your personal email account but include your Lipscomb email address and L#.
Every student has a license for Microsoft Office to install on your computer through Lipscomb while you are an enrolled student. You can get Office by downloading it from your account.
- Option 1: Login to your my.lipscomb.edu Portal, on the homepage you will see your initials on the upper right hand corner of the screen, indicating your account.
- Click on your initials, it will bring up a menu where you can "View Account".
- On the next "My Account" page, there will be a link labeled "Office Apps" where you are able to download and install the Office apps onto your computer.
- Option 2: Visit Office.com, login with your Lipscomb credentials and download using the link provided there.
In order to connect devices such as smart TVs, gaming consoles, streaming devices, Alexa and other devices, these need to be "whitelisted". This means registering the devices on our network. Users need to go to http://wirelessregistration.lipscomb.edu to register.
From what network to connect to for WiFi, how to connect streaming devices and get Xfinity on campus, find more details about information technology for students here!
Resources & Troubleshooting
You may need to include "dlu_nt\" prior to username if using Internet Explorer.
We have computer labs available on campus to help meet your technology needs. They're located in every residence hall and the main floor of Beaman Library.
If you should need assistance, please go to the IT Help Desk so one of our student workers can help you.
About Purchasing A Student Computer
Before a student purchases a computer, please check with the chairperson or advisor of your major department to see if a Windows based or Macintosh system is more appropriate for your anticipated area of study.
A laptop computer has the advantage of being mobile and is able to connect to the network almost anywhere on campus. We recommend that when you purchase a machine that you keep in mind the different software applications that will be used when deciding on memory and processor speed.
Every computer purchase for employees and faculty owned by Lipscomb should be ordered through Information Technology.
Discounts & Deals
Best Buy Student Discount Program
Dell Student and Employee (Personal) Discount Page
Computers, printers, software and other discounted technology for Lipscomb Students, Employees and Alumni with GovConnection.
Microsoft Office 365 for Student and Employee Use
Lipscomb students and employees are eligible for a free Office 365 Education subscription though Lipscomb's Campus Licensing Agreement. Log in at office.com using your Lipscomb email address and password.
Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade license for Student and Employee Use
Lipscomb students and employees are eligible for a free or deeply discounted upgrade to Windows 10 through Lipscomb's Campus Licensing Agreement. For more information on how to obtain your Windows 10 license, please refer to these instructions.
For personal use, faculty and students can purchase Adobe software at a discount.
For University business use, all Adobe software purchases must be ordered through the help desk.
Mobile Phone Discounts and Deals
Lipscomb University employees are eligible to receive discounts for wireless phone service with Verizon. Follow the links below to register and start receiving the exclusive Lipscomb University discounts through these carriers. Verizon will require a Lipscomb email for verification purposes. Do not use a personal email address for this.
Changing Your Name
If you legally change your name and would like to have your username and email address updated to reflect your new name, you must first get your name changed with the Registrar or HR if you are are a student worker or employee. We do not automatically change your username when changed by the Registrar or HR in order to prevent causing you problems with accessing your accounts. Once you have changed your name with the Registrar or HR, you will need to schedule your name change with IT. To request this, simply submit a ticket to helpdesk.lipscomb.edu or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employee Microsoft E-Learning
As part of our campus agreement with Microsoft, all Lipscomb employees are eligible to access E-Learning courses online at Microsoft.com. These courses are meant to help you keep up-to-date with the latest major software releases.
Access to the Microsoft® E-Learning website is restricted to Lipscomb employee use and can only be accessed using a Lipscomb employee Google account.