We’re here to serve and support students, staff and faculty at Lipscomb. Whether your needs are network, telephone, software, computer support or training, we’re here to meet that need.
At Lipscomb University, we use a procedure known as Single-Sign On (SSO), a process where one account signs you into every available app. To make this possible, you need a single 'entry point' for all the available possibilities. This entry point is the my.Lipscomb Portal. Every account needs to access the my.lipscomb.edu Portal first, and then login to all of the other apps.
Every Lipscomb account uses SSO (Single Sign-On) through the Microsoft Sign-In page.
Each account has access to features and licenses from Google and Microsoft. These include things like:
- My Lipscomb Portal
- Office 365 Apps
- Microsoft online
- Gmail (email)
- Google Drive (backup)
- other Google apps like Calendar
See the sections below for more information on each of these products.
** Students need to know their name and their L# (their Lipscomb ID #) to setup their account.** Your L# was provided to you in a Welcome Email from Admissions. It also may be on your ID card, or you may reach out to the Admissions Office (Admissions@lipscomb.edu) or your Admissions Counselor to ask.
1. The first thing you need to do is setup a password:
- Please go to passwordreset.lipscomb.edu.
- On that page you can 'Lookup your username'. For reference, your username is the short version of your email address, only the part before @mail.lipscomb.edu.
- Then you need to setup your password. Click on the 'Reset my Password' link and enter the needed information.
- Type in your username, all lowercase
- Type your L # (for example L12345678) but be sure to use a capital L.
2. Once you have created a password and security question, the second thing to do is sign into your account at the my.Lipscomb Portal at my.lipscomb.edu. The password sync can take up to 5 minutes, so this may not work immediately:
- Go to my.lipscomb.edu and sign in using your full Lipscomb email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your new password.
- You will be prompted to setup Recovery Options, such as an email, security questions, or a phone number.
This should get your account fully setup and logged in. You will know you are logged in when you reach the my.Lipscomb Portal page (says it in the middle, and highlights are purple).
3. Once in the my.Lipscomb portal, the third thing you need to do is login to your email. There is a link on the main portal page and on the All Apps page for Student Gmail SSO (we use a Gmail backed system). You must sign into your email for the first time through the my.Lipscomb Portal. Follow the link in the Portal to sign in. Once you sign in there and activate your account, you can setup your email on a mobile device if you would like.
MyLipscomb is the main Portal for all Lipscomb University students and employees. In order to access your myLipscomb account, first go to my.lipscomb.edu and use your full email address and password to sign-in. With Lipscomb’s SSO (Single Sign-On) procedures, it is best to access the my.Lipscomb Portal and then access anything that you need.
MyLipscomb is a constantly changing portal of information. It will be the place to go for much of the information you need while here at Lipscomb. The main Portal Homepage has quick access to the things you need most as a student, while the All Apps page provides you with all the programs and applications you need while at Lipscomb. The Student Offices & Services page contains even more resources vital to your student life.
If you experience issues with the myLipscomb portal please let the Information Technology Help Desk know. Please provide as much information about the system you are on and if possible provide a screenshot of the browser window.
Lipscomb utilizes Google Apps for Education for email and cloud-based storage for all students, employees and recent alumni. This means that we use Google for Gmail, and as well have access to Google Drive, Calendar, and other Google Apps.
To Access your Gmail Account
- The first time you access your gmail account must be done inside the my.Lipscomb Portal. With SSO (Single Sign-On), you will initialize and verify your account from within my.Lipscomb. Click on the ‘Student Gmail SSO’ link to access your account.
- Following that, you can access your account from any device supported by Google.
- If you would like, you can set up your Gmail on your mobile device. Most mobile devices now come with a Google account type already installed. To add your email, calendar and contacts to a mobile device, simply add an email account using the Google account type and log into your account with your full email address and your password.
- If a Google account type is not available on your device, you may need to download the Gmail app from your app store.
- You can also access your Google Drive files from a mobile device using the Google Drive app available from your app store.
FAQ’s on Gmail and Google
How do I get to my email?
- Go to gmail.com and sign in with your email address (format email@example.com) and your password.
When I click the link for my student mail from myLipscomb, it sends me to Gmail?
- Lipscomb email is powered by Gmail. Simply log on to gmail.com with your Lipscomb email address (format firstname.lastname@example.org) and your Lipscomb password.
When I click the link for my student mail from myLipscomb, my personal Gmail account comes up instead of my Lipscomb email?
- If you already have a Google account, you will need to click the top right corner and then click “Add Account” or choose “Sign Out”. Then sign on with your Lipscomb email address (format email@example.com) and your Lipscomb password.
What if I want/need to reset my password?
- Your password is linked to all your Lipscomb accounts, including myLipscomb, email, wifi network logon, etc. To change this password, you can do so by clicking the “Forgot my password” link from within Google or my.Lipscomb sign in pages. It will take you to a Microsoft Password reset page. https://passwordreset.microsoftonline.com/ . You should already have recovery options setup to help you with this process.
How do I access the other Google Apps?
- You have access to a number of Google apps such as Drive, Calendar, etc in your student account. From within Gmail, you can click on the App Launcher icon and select the app you want. These apps can also be accessed directly by inputting the address ____.google.com, where the ____ (blank) is changed to the name of the app you want, such as drive.google.com or calendar.google.com.
I received a notice about an issue with my account, asking me to click a link and give my username and password. Is this a legitimate message from Lipscomb?
- Please be wary of any email claiming to be from Lipscomb asking to update, verify, or in any other way disclose your account information online. Always manually enter the address for any website that is account related such as my.lipscomb.edu or gmail.com — never click on a link from within an email to log on.
None of the above steps has helped, and I still am unable to connect to my email!
Please call the Helpdesk at (615) 966-1777 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your personal email account but include your Lipscomb email address and L#.
Every student has a license for Microsoft Office to install on your computer through Lipscomb while you are an enrolled student. You can get Office by downloading it from your account.
- Option 1: Login to your my.lipscomb.edu Portal, on the homepage you will see your initials on the upper right hand corner of the screen, indicating your account.
- Click on your initials, it will bring up a menu where you can "View Account".
- On the next "My Account" page, there will be a link labeled "Office Apps" where you are able to download and install the Office apps onto your computer.
- Option 2: Visit Office.com, login with your Lipscomb credentials and download using the link provided there.
In order to connect devices such as smart TVs, gaming consoles, streaming devices, Alexa and other devices, these need to be "whitelisted". This means registering the devices on our network. Users need to go to http://wirelessregistration.lipscomb.edu to register.
From what network to connect to for WiFi, how to connect streaming devices and get Xfinity on campus, find more details about information technology for students here!
Resources & Troubleshooting
You may need to include "dlu_nt\" prior to username if using Internet Explorer.
We have computer labs available on campus to help meet your technology needs. They're located in every residence hall and the main floor of Beaman Library.
If you should need assistance, please go to the IT Help Desk so one of our student workers can help you.
Backing Up Your Data
The Lipscomb Information Technology team performs regular backups of the data on the network servers which would include any data on S: drives. This data can be restored if it was saved to one of these network drives prior to a backup beginning and was deleted after a it completed. Contact Technical Support if you have lost something from a network drive.
Hard Drive Backups
Unless you regularly backup the data on your hard drive, you could lose everything should your drive crash. We strongly recommend regularly backing up your data. We will do what we can to restore data from a hard drive, but sometimes that is not possible. It is your responsibility to ensure that any important data is backed up.
The easiest way to backup data on your hard drive is to upload the important files to your Lipscomb Google Drive account using the Google Drive desktop sync app. For more information on installing and using this tool, read our doc on Backup and Sync and Drive File Stream. Storing your files in Google Drive in the cloud gives you access to them from any location and most devices in addition to providing automatic backups.
Another option for backing up your data would be manual or scheduled backup jobs to an external hard drive or other devices, but this is not as reliable as backing up your data to the cloud.
We strongly encourage you to back up your data, and we are more than happy to help you with your personal backup needs.
About Purchasing Student Computers
Every computer purchase for computers owned by Lipscomb should be placed by Information Technology.
Before purchasing a computer, check with the chairperson of your major department to see if a Windows based or Macintosh system is more appropriate for your anticipated area of study.
A laptop computer has the advantage of being mobile and is able to connect to the network almost anywhere on campus. We recommend that when you purchase a machine that you keep in mind the different software applications that will be used when deciding on memory and processor speed.
Discounts & Deals
Best Buy Student Discount Program
Dell Student and Employee (Personal) Discount Page
Computers, printers, software and other discounted technology for Lipscomb Students, Employees and Alumni with GovConnection.
Microsoft Office 365 for Student and Employee Use
Lipscomb students and employees are eligible for a free Office 365 Education subscription though Lipscomb's Campus Licensing Agreement. Log in at office.com using your Lipscomb email address and password.
Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade license for Student and Employee Use
Lipscomb students and employees are eligible for a free or deeply discounted upgrade to Windows 10 through Lipscomb's Campus Licensing Agreement. For more information on how to obtain your Windows 10 license, please refer to these instructions.
For personal use, faculty and students can purchase Adobe software at a discount.
For University business use, all Adobe software purchases must be ordered through the help desk.
Mobile Phone Discounts and Deals
Lipscomb University employees are eligible to receive discounts for wireless phone service with Verizon. Follow the links below to register and start receiving the exclusive Lipscomb University discounts through these carriers. Verizon will require a Lipscomb email for verification purposes. Do not use a personal email address for this.
Changing Your Name
If you legally change your name and would like to have your username and email address updated to reflect your new name, you must first get your name changed with the Registrar or HR if you are are a student worker or employee. We do not automatically change your username when changed by the Registrar or HR in order to prevent causing you problems with accessing your accounts. Once you have changed your name with the Registrar or HR, you will need to schedule your name change with IT. To request this, simply submit a ticket to helpdesk.lipscomb.edu or via email at email@example.com.
Employee Microsoft E-Learning
As part of our campus agreement with Microsoft, all Lipscomb employees are eligible to access E-Learning courses online at Microsoft.com. These courses are meant to help you keep up-to-date with the latest major software releases.
Access to the Microsoft® E-Learning website is restricted to Lipscomb employee use and can only be accessed using a Lipscomb employee Google account.