Kick off your career in education. Our alternative teaching licensure program is specifically and uniquely designed to meet the needs of the new teacher by providing you with a support system of veteran teachers and expert professors as you are in practice.
Applicability is our priority. You will hone a collection of effective, diverse strategies for instructional practice, including varied approaches to planning lessons, understanding learner needs and creating optimal learning environments.
We promise to practice what we teach. In every class, you will be put in the posture of the learner. We try to keep our lectures short and informational so that you have plenty of time for practice and discussion.
Discover your potential and sharpen your ambition to become an excellent and professional practitioner by engaging in a challenging and comprehensive initial teacher training.
- Online application
- $50 application fee
- Personal statement
- Explain your goals and your purpose for pursuing a graduate education degree at Lipscomb University in a concise, clear essay (1-2 pages).
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
18 credit hours of course work:
- EG 5023 - Principles of Learning
- EG 5053 - Planning, Instruction & Assessment
- EG 5063 - Building Classroom Communities
- EG 5303 - Teaching Diverse Learners
Students will choose ONE of the following methods courses depending on area of certification:
- EG 5143 - Methods in STEM K-5
- EG 5153 - Methods for Adolescent Learners
- EG 5163 - Early Childhood Methods
- EG 5173 - Methods in Art Education
- EG 5183 - Teaching of English Language Arts
- EG 5193 - Teaching of History/Social Sciences
- EG 5423 - Methods in STEM Content Areas
Students will choose ONE of the following literacy courses depending on area of certification:
- EG 5793 - Integrated Literacy
- EG 5803 - Literacy Foundations and Standards
Additional course may be required for licensure.
Tennessee licensure requirements include an extended clinical experience. Candidates must also take either EG 5417 Enhanced Student Teaching (seven hours) and EG 5402 Student Teaching Seminar (two hours) or EG 513V Mentoring (four hours minimum) (for individuals with alternative licenses only) in order to complete licensure requirements.
Tuition & Aid
- $953 per credit hour
- 26% in-service scholarship for educators (M.Ed.-- Job-Embedded ONLY)
As you give back to the community, Lipscomb University wants to give back to you. The College of Education offers significant scholarships to current educators and administrators. Those pursuing career as a teacher, you're not left out either! Check out the following information to see if you qualify for scholarships.
All completed applications should be mailed to:
College of Education
One University Park Drive
Nashville, TN 37204