Respond to a changing planet by leading initiatives to implement sustainable practices. Learn the science and environmental and social governance (ESG) of sustainability to help both businesses and people transform casual behaviors into mindful habits. Explore the broader field of sustainability, choose a concentration or customize your own emphasis. Professionals from almost any field can earn leadership roles in this rapidly growing market.
Lipscomb’s Master of Science in Sustainability combines environmental studies, business management and social sciences to prepare students from almost any discipline for a range of career paths. Study under academically credentialed and real-world sustainability practitioners. Gain field experience to see how theories become tangible and problems become solutions. Bond with your cohort and network with numerous guest experts and join a growing discipline that impacts every sector.
Program participants can customize their studies for almost any discipline or specialize in green buildings and sites, renewable energy, business metrics such as ESG and more. Convenient night classes, hybrid learning options, and a flexible rate of courses allow you to work full-time and study at a manageable pace in your busy life. Our sustainability degrees and certificates can equip you to improve your and our future.
Sustainability Program Outcomes
With a sustainability degree from Lipscomb, you will be prepared to implement sustainable practices and lead others in environmentally-conscious initiatives. Our program provides you with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to make positive change in whatever career path you take.
Upon completion of this program, you will have the ability to:
- Develop foundational knowledge to pivot as sustainability changes
- Recognize technical applications and practices
- Justify the best technical applications and practices for your discipline
- Effectively communicate knowledge and applications
- Apply an application/practice to solve a problem within your discipline
Why Earn Your Sustainability Degree at Lipscomb University?
As the first sustainability program in the southeast, Lipscomb is able to give you the skills and connections you need to make a difference. Our program is designed to be easily accessible and flexible for working students while still providing comprehensive education and experience in sustainability. Personalize your educational path to combine your career with your passion for sustainability. Collaborate with peers, distinguished professors, and leaders in Nashville to envision a brighter future.
A four-year undergraduate degree, background courses in business or environmental sciences, as well as prior relevant work experience, will most enhance the student experience, but are not necessary for successful completion of the program and professional advancement. In addition to meeting all Lipscomb University requirements for admission, each applicant to the graduate program in sustainability must submit the following:
- Application Form. Each applicant must complete an application form. The application form is available at Graduate Admissions. Click on “Apply by Program” to complete the online application.
- Application Fee. Each application should be accompanied by a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- No Standardized Exam Required.
- Writing Sample. Students must submit a brief statement of interest and a writing sample that demonstrates clarity of thinking, reasoning ability, logic, and strong writing and communication skills. The statement of interest should summarize why the proposed course of study is desired, general learning objectives, and career goals. The writing sample should be an academic or professional document that has been previously written and perhaps evaluated in an academic or professional setting. Previously published work may also be considered.
- References. Two letters of reference are required: one academic and one character reference.
- Official Transcript(s). Each applicant must submit an official transcript, showing degree conferral when appropriate, from all schools attended.
- Health Form. Upon acceptance, each applicant must submit a completed health form signed by a health care provider. (To print a copy of the health form, visit www.lipscomb.edu/healthcenter/forms.)
- FERPA. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act afford students certain rights of access to educational records; even if you are independent of your parents, you must submit this form prior to enrollment.
- TOEFL. The Test of English as a Foreign Language is required for international students. (See section titled International Students for more information).
Note: The above referenced materials support a successful “final review” admission score equal to or greater than 30 points. Additional assessments may be provided for lower scores. All application items should be submitted to the office of graduate admissions at Lipscomb University no later than 30 days before the beginning of the month in which the student plans to enroll. Candidates pursuing the dual degree must meet admission requirements for both the sustainability program and the MBA program.
Tuition & Aid
Tuition for sustainability courses (includes text books):
- $1,091 per credit hour for On-Campus courses
- $899 per credit hour for Online courses
Students may enroll in courses in any of the following fashions:
- 100% On-Campus courses
- 100% Online courses
- 100% Asynchronous courses
- A HyFlex mix of the above as a "hybrid student"
Payment is due prior to each class or at the start of the term.
Note: Graduate tuition rates may increase annually, effective at the start of the summer term 2023.