The Master of Theological Studies provides excellent flexibility and depth of studies according to your interests. Focusing on the disciplines of Scripture, Biblical languages, history and theology, students often choose this degree to experience personal theological development. Since the curriculum restricts the amount of specific coursework in pastoral skills, more room is available for greater engagements in the classic disciplines. The degree can also be used as a foundation to broaden your theological and historical knowledge of the Christian tradition for further academic studies.
Our Master of Theological Studies is very flexible — you'll be able to customize 21 hours of your training. Start by choosing a concentration in Scripture, Old Testament, New Testament or theology and history. Select the format that's most convenient for you with the option of online studies or hybrid classes at our location in Nashville, Tennessee, or Austin, Texas.
- Application with $50 nonrefundable application fee
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a college or university administrator or professor, one from a professional supervisor/employer and one from a church leader or minister
- Official transcripts emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Graduate Admissions (One University Park Dr., Nashville, TN 37204)
- Bachelor's degree
- Undergraduate or graduate GPA of at least 2.75
- Completed health form
- 750-1,000-word essay discussing the applicant's religious heritage, career goals and how Hazelip School of Theology might contribute to the achievement of those pursuits
International students are required to be proficient in written and oral English before enrolling. A score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of approximately 570 on the paper-based test, or 80 on the iBT, or an IELTS exam with an overall band score of 6.5 is the minimum accepted for admittance. For more information, see International Students admissions policy.
All 2020 summer courses will be held online.
Scripture (12-15 hours)
- GB 5010 - Introduction to Theological Studies
- GB 5083 - Critical Interpretation of the Old Testament
- GB 5093 - Critical Interpretation of the New Testament
OT Scripture Elective (3-6 hours)
NT Scripture Elective (3-6 hours)
Theology and History (12-15 hours)
- GB 5483 - Introduction to Theology
- GB 5423 - Systematic and Historical Theology I
- GB 5443 - Systematic and Historical Theology II
- GB 5473 - Christian Ethics
- GB 5493 - Global Christianity
- GB 5Cn3 - Seminar in Theology
- GB 5Dn3 - Seminar in Historical Theology
Emphasis (9 hours)
- GB 5043 - Biblical Hebrew I
- GB 5063 - Biblical Hebrew II
- OT Scripture Electives (3)
- GB 5033 - Biblical Greek I
- GB 5073 - Biblical Greek II
- NT Scripture Electives (3)
- OT Scripture Electives (3-6)
- NT Scripture Electives (3-6)
Theology and History
- Theology and History Electives (9)
- Electives (9)
Electives (12 Hours)
Twelve hours from any courses offered by Hazelip School of Theology that are not already counting toward the above requirements or emphasis. A maximum of two ministry courses (six hours) may be counted toward this degree.
Program concludes with a Comprehensive Exam