Meet the increasing demands of this exciting field expected to grow 20 percent in the coming years by pursuing your certificate in health care informatics (HCI). Nashville, widely known as the health care industry’s capital, is the perfect place to start.
Translate your passions into enhancing and transforming health care delivery and outcomes. Become equipped to improve quality of care and reduce health care costs, making the industry more efficient and economical.
Develop expert skills for today’s essential technologies like electronic health records and emerging technologies like blockchain. Set yourself apart by learning from faculty who are nationally recognized for their eminence in research, innovation and leadership. Network and collaborate with your cohort throughout your course of study.
Once you’re certified, you’ll join 99 percent of your peers who completed this program and landed careers in leading-edge health information technology, working to enhance quality of care and health outcomes.
Eligible students should hold a U.S. bachelor’s degree or equivalent with one prerequisite course in statistics. No GRE required.
In addition to the online application, the following items must be submitted before the application folder is complete:
- Application fee. A non-refundable $50 application fee must be submitted online with credit card or by check before the application is evaluated by the admissions committee.
- Coursework or demonstrated competency in medical terminology, statistics and PC literacy (evidenced through work experience as it appears on the resume or coursework as it appears on the transcript).
- Two letters of recommendation. To download and print the forms, click here. The references selected need to be individuals who are able to comment on your academic or professional abilities as well as your interpersonal skills.
- Personal statement of goals and purpose for obtaining the degree. Consider including such information as:
- How the university can assist your personal and career goals
- Why you are seeking a degree in health care informatics
- Official transcripts from each institution attended. Please allow up to 4 weeks for transcript delivery.
Transcripts and forms should be mailed to:
Graduate Studies in Health Care Informatics
One University Park Drive,
Nashville TN 37204-3951.
The Master of Science in Health Care Informatics program features 42 hours of coursework. Classes are scheduled for Friday evenings (4-8 p.m.) and Saturdays (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), allowing the highest quality educational experience without disrupting one’s professional career. To assist with financial aid planning, we typically offer four courses each spring, three courses each summer, and five courses each fall. This enables students to complete the full master's program in as little as 14 months.
All 2020 fall courses will be held online.
Tuition & Aid
Tuition and fees for the MHCI program are as follows:
- 42-hour program / $1,030 per credit hour (all classes are three hours)*
- Course materials and fees included in tuition
- Tuition adjustments occur each May