Discovering transformational self requires leaders who can coach others beyond the status quo to achieve goals that seem unattainable. Performance coaches guide their clients to do exactly that. By assisting in the creation of an action plan and providing inspiration to pursue continuous improvement, performance coaching contributes to the success of individuals and organizations.
Lipscomb University’s graduate certificate program in Performance Coaching has earned recognition from the International Coach Federation (ICF) as an Accredited Coach Training Program and is the only university in the Southeast to hold this designation. With courses in active listening, somatics, ethics, and structures and models, you’ll learn to use coaching for the transformation of self and your organization. Advance your leadership capability with direction from top coaches and develop your coaching approach informed by ICF Professional Certified Coach markers within a supportive cohort environment that encourages each person to reach their full potential.
The Certificate in Performance Coaching is a Gainful Employment program regulated by the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. Department of Education requires additional information to be provided to you about this certificate program. For more information, view the Gainful Employment Disclosure.
Ready to apply? Let’s get started. We’re here to help at every step. Here’s what you’ll need to apply to Lipscomb Online.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Completed online application
- $50 application fee or fee waiver
- Official college transcripts from all schools attended (minimum 2.5 GPA)
- Two professional recommendations
- Interview with faculty
If your undergraduate GPA is below 2.5, please provide a standardized test score or evidence of substantive professional experience.
Steps to Apply
Follow these simple steps to submit your application for admission:
- Complete our online application. Please be sure to list each college you have previously attended.
- Request to have your transcript(s) from all previous schools and colleges sent directly to Lipscomb. Mail to:
One University Park Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
- You may submit the $50 application fee via credit card after completing the online application, or mail a check made out to “Lipscomb University” to the address above.
Program of Study
The 15-hour Performance Coaching Certificate can stand alone as a graduate credential, or you can apply it toward a Master of Professional Studies (MPS) by completing the MPS core curriculum or combining another certificate for a master’s degree based on your preferences.
Performance Coaching Certificate (15 hours)
CORE 501V - Advanced Active Listening
Effective performers frequently mentor others in active listening skills, are sought for roles requiring advanced listening skills and are exceptionally adept at interpreting and reinforcing genuine dialogue; personable and approachable.
OGLD 5403 - Leadership Skills and Assessment
This course includes an initial assessment of leadership skills for students followed by individualized feedback, a personalized learning plan and further development of one out of 15 CORE competency areas. Development of the chosen competency area will support each student’s career goals by including working with a competency development coach, online learning modules, job-embedded activities and feedback. The price of this course includes transcription fees of all demonstrated competency areas.
OGLD 5033 - Foundations of Ethical Coaching
This course will examine the role of the coach and application of ethics and standards in the professional coaching environment. Students will develop knowledge of resources and skills needed to meet ethical guidelines and professional standards, establish the coaching agreement as well as trust and intimacy with the client, and handle ethical dilemmas in a coach-client relationship.
Prerequisite: OGLD 5403
OGLD 5633 - Applied Coaching Skills
In this self-paced, competency-based, coach-enhanced course, students will study cases, conduct job (or community) embedded projects, role play situations, conduct peer coaching conversations, lead work teams and work with a coach to develop and demonstrate the competencies of talent development, leader identification and team management.
Prerequisites: OGLD 5033 and OGLD 5403
OGLD 5645 - Coaching Mentorship and Practicum
This course should be taken when most of the content of coaching has been completed. Students will work closely with a mentor coach as they practice with several clients (up to 75 hours of coaching) in an actual coaching situation. Practice ICF tests and online learning modules will be required. The mentor coach will listen to recordings of actual coaching conversations and offer feedback to the student coach.
Prerequisite: OGLD 5403
Oral exam fee: $500.00
Tuition & Aid
Time is precious, especially for a busy adult like yourself. That’s why Lipscomb created personalized online programs tailored to fit your career needs and busy schedule. Lipscomb Online offers the same high-quality degree as our traditional on-campus programs with the flexibility to fit your life. Tuition is $899 per credit hour.
In addition, you can earn up to 6 credit hours in one day through a behavioral assessment in our CORE Competency Assessment Center.
Earn a Lipscomb education in a way that fits your budget through financial aid opportunities like scholarships, grants, loans and part-time employment.
- Grants: You may qualify for federal grants or grants from other sources specific to your program of study and personal background.
- Loans: Finance your education through one or more loans, either from the federal government or a private lender, that you can repay after college.
- Scholarships: Depending on your credentials, you may qualify for scholarships from federal, state and other sources.
- Tuition Discounts: If your employer offers tuition assistance or has a corporate partnership with Lipscomb University, you may be eligible for an application fee waiver and reduced tuition.
- Military Benefits: Veterans, military members and their families attending Lipscomb may qualify for a variety of aid, including scholarships, stipends and tuition assistance.