Celebrating our honors students' accomplishments
Honors students continued to excel academically, within Lipscomb and beyond, throughout 2019.
Compiled by Honors College staff |
Every year students in the Honors College make up a strong percentage of Lipscomb University academic honorees, many head to prestigious graduate and professional schools and others have opportunities to present their work at national association conferences. Below is a selection of the top accomplishments by Lipscomb's honors students in 2019.
Stellar Academic Scholarship
Here are a few of the conferences where Lipscomb honors students made their mark in 2019.
- Rebekah Duke presented “Data-Guided Permeability Estimations for Polymeric Membranes” at the 2019 Southeastern Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Savannah, GA.
- Jennie Hibma presented her research, "Ultrafine Carbon Black Promotes Lysosomal Membrane Permeabilization and NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation," conducted through the Summer Undergraduate Research in Biology internship at Pepperdine University, at the American Society for Cell Biology/European Molecular Biology Organization Meeting in Washington D.C.
- Victoria Sanzone presented on "Optical Confirmation of X-Ray Galaxy Cluster Candidates" at the 2019 Physics Congress in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Mary Welch, Peggy Miller and Ryan Wilson attended the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association 2019 National Conference in Washington D.C.
- Sydney Willis, Sarah Parker and Ryan Wilson attended the Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honors Society, 2019 National Convention in St. Louis.
Attending Prestigious Graduate Schools
In addition to the selection shown here, seven other honors students in the Class of 2019 were accepted to U.S. medical schools.
- Abigail Dillow, Northeastern University, law
- Lauren May, Virginia Commonwealth University, human genetics
- Abby Poff, Duke University, stem cell biology
- Caleb Reagor, Cornell University, computational biology
- Bethanne Venkatesan, Thomas Jefferson University, medicine
- Madison White, University of Virginia, law
Lipscomb Academic Honors
This year the Honors College had students honored in nearly all of Lipscomb’s colleges.
2019 Ward Scholars
The most prestigious financial award given to a student planning a health science career.
- Madeline Surdacki
- Breckin Horton
- Jerod Crockett
2019 Ward Summer Research Fellows
- Shelbi Sullivan
- Kase Maner
College of Bible
- Byers Award, Lisa Moser
- Prather/Floyd Greek Award, Grayson Borders
College of Business
- Award of Excellence in Accounting, Nathan Morgan
- Award of Excellence in Management, Thabile Tshatedi
College of Computing and Technology
- Outstanding Student, Erin Barcaskey
College of Engineering
- Leadership Award, Salah Salmon
- Outstanding Student in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lauren Kemper
- Outstanding Student in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Joshua Sew-Hee
- Richard S. Peugot Award for Christian Service and Engineering Missions, Hanleigh Heinzmann
College of Entertainment and the Arts
- Art Achievement Award, Carrie Hull
- Music Service Award, Theodore Reed
- Music Service Award, Zachariah Westover
- Directing Award of Excellence, Maya Denning
College of Leadership and Public Service
- Charla S. Long Innovation in Leadership Award, Maribeth Beyer
- Andrew Nash Memorial Award, Madison White
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Organic Chemistry Award, Breckin Horton
- General Chemistry Award, Rebecca Ice
- Analytical Chemistry Award, Inorganic Chemistry Award, Biochemistry Award Rebekah Duke
- Analytical Chemistry Award, Inorganic Chemistry Award, Robert King
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis Award, Spencer Oskin
- Biochemistry Award, Caleb Berta
- Journalism-New Media Award, Erin Franklin
- Morris Scholar Award, Kira Dunton
- Excellence in English Writing and Research, Mary Welch
- John Parker Service Award, Leslie Garcia
- Prix Eiffel, Savannah Royston
- Goethepreis, Jonathan Geeslin
- William (Bill)Collins Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Philosophy, Madison White
- Outstanding Student in Physics, Naomi Derksen
- Outstanding Student in Physics, Bethanne Vendatesan
- Hazel Arthur Social Work Legacy Award, Rachel Adams
Lipscomb Student Scholars Symposium
Outstanding Presentation Awards in the Lipscomb Student Scholars Symposium 2019:
- Arsany Abouda
- Rebekah Duke
- Kira Dunton
- Leslie Garcia
- Jennie Hibma
- Lisa Moser
- Caleb Reagor
- Lesley Walker
Outstanding Poster Awards in the Lipscomb Student Scholars Symposium 2019:
- Arsany Abouda
- Kyra Drobny
- Lauren Kemper
- Haley Kling
- Kristen McReynolds
- Caleb Obregon
- Madeline Stevens
- Collin Vasseur
- Ela Wickremasinghe