2020 Day of Giving a big success!
On 02/20/2020, the Lipscomb community showed up and showed out for the second annual Lipscomb Day of Giving.
Kalli Groce |
On Lipscomb’s second annual Day of Giving on 02/20/2020, 3,522 donors gave $826,925 in just 24 hours, and they went above and beyond the goals set for this ambitious day.
For the second year in a row, multiple donating challenges were extended and not only met, but surpassed. One Lipscomb supporter pledged $100,000 if 2,020 people gave on 02/20/2020. Done.
Someone also promised to match every gift to student scholarships up to $80,000. Also done.
The entire community helped in big and small ways, from making donations to matching them to sharing about this historic day on social media. Donors were able to choose specific programs that they wanted their donation to support, from missions to athletics and every program or initiative in between.
Among the results for specific programs on the Day of Giving were:
- Student Scholarships raised over $180,000 total, and donors met the entire $80,000 match.
- Lipscomb Athletics received $93,395 from 920 donors, a 45.14% increase from last year’s Day of Giving totals for athletics. These gifts will allow the department to finish its Student Athlete Development Center, designed to provide academic, career and life skills support to student athletes.
- The College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences raised $23,340 from 303 donors, which was matched by a $30,000 donation for student scholarships from retiring Vice Provost of Health Affairs Roger Davis.
- ENGAGE Youth Theology Initiative raised $7,131 from donors that will go directly toward the development and sustainability of this summer youth program that is dedicated to developing the next generation of theologically minded and socially engaged young people.
- The College of Business reached their 2019 number of donors by 11 a.m. on Feb. 20, reached their stretch goal of 400 donors by 4 p.m. and ended up with 500 donors participating in the 2020 Day of Giving. Total fundraising equaled $102,000, including a $50,000 challenge gift.
- The George Shinn College of Entertainment & the Arts raised $32,882 from 299 donors. Funds will benefit student scholarships, equipment, public art and more.
- Lipscomb Academy raised $115,945 to fund 21 programs to benefit the pre-K through 12th grade students at the academy.
- The Raymond B. Jones College of Engineering had 119 donors, exceeding its goal of 100. Total dollars raised were $51,211, thanks to a $35,000 challenge from an anonymous donor and a dollar-for-dollar match from an anonymous donor.
- Lipscomb Missions raised $34,583 with 116 donors, including a $20,000 match.
A simple start
It started with a challenge: On March 13, 2019, the Lipscomb community was challenged to have 500 people give to Lipscomb. If they did that, they would secure $100,000 for student scholarships.
But the community came together and blew the donor’s expectations out of the water. The first Day of Giving ended with more than 2,500 donors and raised over $500,000.
This year, on the second Day of Giving, the challenge was increased to 2,020 donors in 24 hours. Again, the Lipscomb community came through in a big way, with 3,522 donors giving more than $800,000.
Lipscomb is a bold leader in the Nashville community with ambitious plans to spread its reach, encourage innovation and prepare students to serve both locally and globally. The historic turnout for the 2020 Day of Giving shows that the Lipscomb community shares a passion for providing students with best-in-class academics, a transformative student experience and a perfect place to bring innovative ideas to life.