Jeanne Gilliam Fain is a professor in the College of Education and lead faculty of Multilingual Learners at Lipscomb University. Her scholarship agenda includes a focus on Literacy, Literature, and Language Study in K-12 classrooms. She writes grants for school/university partnerships. She conducts research on critical conversations around global texts with multilingual learners and their families in local school partnerships. She served as past chair (2020/2021) of the Notable in Children’s Language Arts Award and she was recently selected to serve as a member of the Notable Books for a Global Society for the next three years. She teaches literacy, global literature, language acquisition, culture & community, and research courses.
Ph.D. Language, Reading, and Culture
College of Education, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona December 2003
Areas of concentration: Biliteracy Early Literacy
Dissertation title: Children’s Dialogue about Issues of Language Diversity and Culture. Kathy G. Short, Ph.D., Chair
M.Ed. Elementary Education
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 1993
Areas of concentration: Bilingual Education, English as a Second Language
B.S., Elementary Education
Grand Canyon University, Phoenix, AZ 1990
- EGEL 5043/6043: Curriculum Design & Instruction in the ELL Classroom
- EGEL 5053/6053: Culture, Communication, and Community in the ELL Classroom
- EGEL 5013/6013: Theory & Practice in Second Language Acquisition
- EGEL 5033/6033: Grammar for ELL Teachers
- EGEL 5203/EGEL 6203: Global Literature in Linguistically Diverse Classrooms
- Early Literacy & Literacy in K-8 Classrooms
- Critical Conversations around Global
- Culturally responsive, and social justice texts
- Children’s and Adolescents’ Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Literature
- Children’s and Family-led literature discussions
- Linguistic Diversity and Schooling
- Fain, J. (Ed.), Ahiya, V., Bemiss, E., Fain, J., R., Leigh, R., Schall, J.Summerlin, J., K. Will (2020). CLA Notables. Journal of Children’s Literature.
- Fain, J. (Ed.) , Ahiya, V., Bemiss, E., Fain, J., R., Leigh, R., Schall, J.Summerlin, J., K. Will (2020). CLA Notables. Journal of Children’s Literature.
- Alaniz, C., Bemiss, E., Fain, J., R., Leigh, R., Summerlin, J., (2019). CLA Notables. Journal of Children’s Literature.
- Alaniz, C., Bemiss, E., Fain, J., R., Leigh, R., Summerlin, J., (2019). CLA Notables. Language Arts.
- Schall, J., Fain, J., Lopez-Robertson (2019). Arte reaches beyond the word: Examining agency and immigration in My Diary from Here to There/Mi Diario de aqui hasta Alla. Dragon Lode.
- Schall, J., Lopez-Robertson, J. & Fain, J. (2019). Examining the Visual in Latinx Immigrant Journey Picture books. In Short, K., Johnson, H. & Mathis, J., Critical Content Analysis of Visuals. Routledge.
- Parker-Peters, M., Fain, J., & Duncan, S. (2018). Explore for More: Enhancing Students’ Literacy Through a School-Family-University Partnership. International Journal of Education and Literacy Studies.
- Porter, D., Corbin, S., Bean-Folkes, J., Alaniz, C., Leigh, R., Sanders, J., & Fain, J. (2018) CLA Notables. Journal of Children’s Literature.
- Lowery, R.M., & Fain, J.G. (2017). Embracing Imagination & Opening the Imaginative World through the Exposure of Story: An Interview with Kevin Henkes. Journal of Children’s Literature.
- Giorgis, C. Cappiello, M.A., Fain, J.G., Graff.J., & Riley, Scott (2017). Children’s Literature Reviews. 2017 Orbis Pictus Winners. Language Arts.
- Giorgis, C., Cappiello, M.A., Fain, J. G., Le Jeune, M., Lowery, R.L., & Riley, Scott (2016). Children’s Literature Reviews: 2016 Orbis Pictus Winners. Language Arts.
- Adomat, D.S., Lowery, R.M., Fain, J. G. (2016). Telling Stories That Are Needed: An Interview with Christopher Myers. Journal of Children’s Literature. 42 (2), 56-61.
- Fain, J.G. (2016). Young Bilingual Children Engaging in Book Discussion (Extension). In R. J. Meyer & Whitmore, K. (Eds.). Reclaiming Early Childhood Literacies. Routledge
- Fain, J. G. (2016). Creating intentional space for the integration of intercultural literature and perspectives, and close reading. In Day, D., Schroeder, J., & Short, K. (2016). Teaching Globally: Reading the World Through Literature. Stenhouse.
- Fain, J.G. & Unkefer, L.C. (2015). Middle School Adolescents Developing Critical Stances Around Difference in Young Adolescent Literature in Literature Circles. In Stratman, J. (2015) (Dis)Abilities and Young Adult Literature: Critical Reading, Pedagogy, and Literary Theory.
- Giorgis, C., Fain, J.G., Herbeck, J., Le Jeune, M., Lowery, R.L., Richardson, M., Sullivan, E. (2015). Children’s Literature Reviews: 2015 Orbis Pictus Winners. Language Arts.
- Shrodt, K., Fain, J., Hasty, M. (2015). Exploring culturally relevant texts with kindergartners and their families. Reading Teacher. 68 (8),589-598.
Hasty, M. & Fain, J.G. (2014). Emergent Understandings: Multilingual Fourth Grade Students Generating Close Reading and Multimodal Responses to Global & Informational Texts. Perspectives on Urban Education. 11(2)
- 5/2021 Families Explore, Engage, & Interact Critically with Books $10,000 (Dollar General Family Literacy Grant) Fifteen families will participate in specially-designed literacy activities to promote motivation to read with a focus on comprehension strategies in a literacy-center format that will highlight a unique element of the books in a fun format.
- 5/2021 EL MNPS/Lipscomb Partnership Grant (MNPS K-12 Schools) $1,600,000 Prepare ELL Teachers for ELL Certification for Title 1 K-12 Schools in MNPS Including Coaching Component, Book Selection, and preparation for ELL praxis
- 8/2020 Worlds of Words Grant: University/JE Moss Partnership $1,000 Continue inquiry into visual and content analysis as an instructional Strategy with global literature in multilingual classrooms Professional Development
- 5/2020 ATSI Grant: Addendum to ELL MNPS/Lipscomb Partnership Grant $183, 375 Provide certification courses for 25 MNPS teachers as part of the Summer Multilingual/ELL Certification Program
- 8/2019 Worlds of Words Grant: University/JE Moss Partnership $1,000 Study global literacy and visual analysis in global literature Professional Development
- 8/2019 ELL MNPS/Lipscomb Partnership Grant (Antioch/McMurray Middle) $180,000 Prepare ELL Teachers for ELL Certification for teachers at Antioch Middle & McMurray Middle School, includes coaching Component, book selection, and preparation for ELL praxis
- 10/2018 Spark Grant (Nashville Public Education Foundation) $15,000 15 Multilingual Families with excelling, proficient, and emerging Second Grade Readers discussing critical and global texts
- 6/2018 Read to be Ready Grant: Camp Explore 3.0: Reading & Writing in Nashville $95,000 Summer literacy camp. 80 students will experience high quality literacy camp experience. Goal of improving literacy achievement.
- 2/2017 Read to be Ready Grant: Camp Explore 2.0: Reading & Writing in Nashville $82,000 Summer literacy camp was selected as an exemplary site for TN. 9 out of 23 were selected. 80 students will be experiencing high quality literature and authentic literacy experiences.
- 5/2016 Ready to be Ready Grant: Camp Explore: Reading & Writing in Nashville $30,000 12 grant recipients selected from 220 applications Only Middle TN/MNPS grant selected Summer Literacy Camp aimed at facilitating authentic and supportive reading and writing skills for first-third multilingual learners and family backpack program at J. E. Moss
- 1/2016 Read Indeed Grant: $5000.00 JE Moss Partnership. 4,000 books were purchased by Scholastic and were used within the school as part of a family literacy night and then sent home with families.
- 6/2015 Summer Lipscomb Faculty Grant Integrating Critical Comprehension Strategies Across Content Areas
- 5/2013 Tennessee Board of Regents Faculty Research Grant: $60,000 Fain, J. & Howard, M. (TN TECH) The Family and Schooling Literacy Project: Families and Schools Generating Close Readings
- 9/2011 World of Words & Longview Foundation: $1000.00 Global Perspectives of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms
- 4/2011 Public Service Grant, $3,892.00: International Perspectives of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms
- 1/2010 ITD Grant Using Technology to Enhance Adolescent Literacy in a University School Partnership
- 11/2005 NCTE Teacher Research Grant, $12,500.00: Fain, Lopez-Robertson, & Horn: Young Bilingual Learners Unraveling the Word and the World: Social Action in the Classroom
- 9/2005 C&I Faculty-Doctoral Research Award, $2,000.00: Multiple Lenses and Shifting Views: Researching a SEI Course
- 4/2021 Dean’s Award: Recognized for Outstanding service in teaching, partnerships, and scholarship
- 11/2018 Recognized by MNPS Board for Participation in Summer Reading Partners Pilot
- 4/2016 Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2/2013 Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award from MTSU Foundation
- 9/2012 TN Board of Regents Fellow
- 5/2010 Certificate of Excellence in Mentoring MTSU Disabled Services
Local and National Scholarly Presentations
- “2020 Notable Books (Chair).” November 21, 2020. NCTE Annual Conference. (Zoom)
- “Gifted and Multilingual Learners: How can we effectively identify, support, & serve?” November 5, 2020.NAGC 67th Annual Conference. (Zoom)
- “Current Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Children's and Adolescent's Literature in the K-8 Classroom/” September 26, 2020. Middle TN Writing Project. (Zoom)
- “Book Selection for Summer Camps/Alignment.” May 28, 2020. Nashville, TN. (Zoom)
- “Blue Print Virtual Literacy Chat/Summer Literacy Learning.” May 27, 2020. (Zoom) Nashville, TN.
- “Critical Literacy/Overview.” April 2, 2020. Ohio State University (Class). (Zoom)
- “2019 Notable Books.” November 23, 2019. NCTE. Baltimore, MD.
- “Fostering Family Engagement through Literary Inquiry with Dr. Sarah Duncan.” November 22, 2019. NCTE. Baltimore, MD.
- “2018 Notable Books. “ November 17, 2018. NCTE. Houston, Texas.
- “The Challenges of Discussion of Critical Issues in the Classroom.” October 9, 2018. Belmont University. Nashville, TN.
- “My Journey as a Researcher in Academia: Tips for New Academics.” Sept. 26, 2018, Center for Teaching & Learning. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Current Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Texts in the K-8 Classroom.” Sept. 28, 2018. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Invited Address: Notable Books in the Classroom for Local Librarians in Maury County.” Maury County, TN. June 5, 2018.
- "2017 Orbis Pictus and Charlotte Huck Honor Book Award-Winning Authors and Illustrators Share Their Stories and Insights.” (Co-presenters Orbis Pictus and Charlotte Huck Committee). November 18, 2017. NCTE. St. Louis, Missouri.
- “From Summer Slide to Literacy Ladder: Designing a Summer Camp to Grow Young Readers.” (co-presenter, Sarah Duncan). November 17, 2017. NCTE. St. Louis, Missouri.
- “Orbis Pictus Award-Winning Books: Sharing Nonfiction with Children.” (Co-presenters Orbis Pictus Award Committee). November 17, 2017. NCTE. St. Louis, Missouri.
- “Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Children’s Literature for K-8 Classroom.” September 29, 2017. Invited Professional Development Session. Nashville, Tennessee.
- “Reflective Teaching Practice: Creating Immediate Change & Impact for Students.” (co-presenter, Lisa Bruce). September 13, 2017. Fortify Conference. Nashville, Tennessee.
- “Read, Bake, Build, Make: Designing a Literacy Camp to Fight the Summer Slide.”(co-presenter, Sarah Duncan.) July 17, 2017. International Literacy Association Conference. Orlando, Florida.
- “Enhancing Students’ Literacy Through a School-Family-University Partnership”. (co-presenter Megan Parker Peters.) March 3, 2017. AACTE Poster Session. Tampa, Florida.
- “Growth Mindset: Unraveling Teacher Sacred Selection of Literature”. (co-presenter Lisa Bruce. Feb. 28, 2017. AMLE Workshop. Kansas City, Missouri.
- “Exploring Current Informational, Global, Multilingual and Award-Winning Children’s Literature.” (co-presenters with Sarah Duncan & Leslie Gautsch). Dec. 4, 2016. TN Reading Association. Murfreesboro, TN.
- “Advocating for Children’s Literature in All Classrooms. (co-presenters Julia Lopez-Robertson & Janine Schall). Nov. 20, 2016. NCTE. Atlanta, GA.
- “Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children Session. (co-presenters Maryanne Cappiello, Cyndi Giorgis, Marie Lejeune, Marianne Richardson, Scott Riley, & Ruth Lowery). Nov. 19, 2016. NCTE. Atlanta, GA.
- “Comprehension Strategies that Promote Critical Thinking-And You can use them in your class tomorrow.” Nov. 7, 2016, (co-presenters with Lisa Bruce, Katie Batson, Lucinda Burris, Emily Reed, and Jane Thomas) TN Assoc. of Independent Schools. Chattanooga, TN.
- “How and Intentional Focus on Questioning Changed Our School.” Nov. 7, 2016 (co-presenter with Lisa Bruce). TN Assoc. of Independent Schools.
- “Explore for More: Enhancing Students’ Literacy Through a School-Family-University Initiative.” Oct. 24, 2016 (co-presenter Dr. Megan Parker Peters). Nashville, TN.
- “Reading the Word & The World: Exploring Current, Multilingual & Informational Texts.” Sept. 23rd, & Sept. 30th & Nov. 11th, 2016. (Sumner & MNPS teachers) Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Unraveling Teacher Sacred Selection of Literature: Reframing Literature Selection in the Language Arts Curriculum.” July 9, 2016. (co-presenters with Lisa Bruce, Katie Batson, Lucinda Burris, and Christine McNutt). ILA. Boston, MA.
- “Exploring Current Multilingual, Informational, Global, and Award-Winning Texts. March 18, 2016. (co-presenter with Lipscomb Graduate Student, Leilani Greene.) TNTESOL, Murfreesboro, TN.
- “Reading the World Through Children’s and Adolescent Literature.” Jan. 17, 2015. Invited Session for Vanderbilt’s Propel Program. Nashville, TN.
- “Differentiation of Instruction.” Jan. 5, 2015. Franklin Special School District. Franklin, TN.
- “Young Children Draw on their Knowledge their knowledge of Language and Culture to Reframe Close Reading in Literature Discussion.” Nov. 21, 2015. NCTE. Minneapolis, MN.
- “Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children Session. (co-presenters Cyndi Giorgis, Marie Lejeune, Joyce Herbeck, Marianne Richardson, & Ruth Lowery). Nov. 20, 2015. NCTE. Minneapolis, MN.
- “Multilingual Students Using Linguistic and Cultural Knowledge through talk across informational texts.” Oct. 23, 2015. NAC WCCI Conference. Brentwood, TN.
- “Comprehension: Research for Teaching and Learning Fellowship.” co-presenter Lisa Bruce. TAIS Conference. Nashville, TN.
- “Integrating Critical Comprehension Strategies Across the Content Areas in Middle School Instruction: Research at LAMS (co-presenters with Lisa Bruce, Libby Barker, Katie Batson, Lucinda Burris, Audree Keele, & Jane Thomas). July 20, 2015. International Literacy Conference: Middle School Reading Special Interest Group. St. Louis, Missouri.
- “Multilingual Power PD Part1: Books, Language, and Discussion.” July 11, 2015. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Keeping Current: Learning about Global, Nonfiction, and Fiction for the K-8 Classroom. June 26, 2015. Summer Alumni Summit, Nashville, TN.
- “Reading literature with an eye for writing.” May 9, 2015. Lipscomb Literacy Conference. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Global Inquiry and Community Collaboration: Using Children’s and Adolescent Literature in Secondary Content Classroom (co-presenters, Tracy Smiles, Janine Schall).” November 22, 2015. NCTE. Washington D.C.
- “Integrating Critical Comprehension Strategies Across the Content Areas in Middle School (co-presenters with Lisa Bruce, Emily Reed, Lucinda Burriss, & Franklin Bennett .” October 11, 2014. ACEPP Conference. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Books for the Classroom and the Home: Exploring Current Informational, Global & Award-Winning Titles.” June 27, 2014. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Lamplighters fighting for Literacy for All.” Invited Session. June 13, 2014. Philanthropic Education Organization. Franklin, TN.
- “Close Reading Apps in the Classroom.” (co-presenter Hope Nordstrom). April 5, 2014. Ignite 2.0. Lipscomb University. Nashville, TN.
- “Practical Strategies for Close Reading with English Learners in Elementary Classrooms.” (Co-presenter Molly Martin). March 20, 2014. TN TESOL. Nashville, TN.
- “Reinventing the Research Paper with Multi-Genre Writing” (co-presenter Schrodt, K. & Fitzpatrick, E.). November 23, 2013. NCTE Conference. Boston, MA.
- Emergent Understandings of The Schooling Literacy Project: Diverse Schools Generating Close Readings and Critical Responses to Global and Informational Texts. (co-presenter M. Howard, M. Hasty, M. Maxwell, & Schrodt, K.). October 4, 2013. ACEPP Conference. Memphis, TN.
- “Current Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Children’s Literature and Close Reading Strategies in the Common Core.” February 3, 2013. Invited Speaker. Trevecca Nazarene University. Nashville, Tennessee.
- “The Lamplighters: The Preservation of Literacy and Recent Children’s Literature.” December 7, 2012. Invited Speaker. Lewisburg Study Club. Lewisburg, Tennessee.
- “Constructing Critical Knowledge and Response in the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Elementary Classroom with critical and global texts. November 17, 2012. NCTE Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- “Global Perspectives Of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms. November 18, 2012. Hobgood Literacy Community. NCTE Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Invited Session by TBR, “Exploring and Interacting with Multiple Methods of Data Analysis in School and Classroom Based Research. “ (co-presenter Martha Howard from Tennessee Technological University.). October 15, 2012. Qualitative Conference. Clarksville, TN.
- “Constructing Critical Response with Critical Texts and Young Learners.(co-presenter Suze Gilbert.). October 12, 2012. TAEYC Conference. Murfreesboro, TN.
- “Reclaiming Reading: Teachers, Students, and Researchers Regaining Spaces for Thinking and Action (CELT).” Co-presenters from CELT. May 2, 2012. International Reading Conference. Chicago, Illinois.
- “Codeswitching among Latino Children and in Latino Children’s Literature.” November 30, 2011. Literacy Research Conference. Jacksonville, Florida.
- “Invited Discussion Facilitator, for Kathy Short’s NCTE award.” November 17, 2011. NCTE Conference. Chicago, IL.
- “Supporting Urban and Bilingual Families as Writers.” Sept. 24, 2011. Middle Tennessee State Writing Project Conference. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “English Learners Making Sense of Print: A Beginning.” July 2011. ELL Writing Institute. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Young Urban Bilingual Preschoolers’ Engagement & Response with Critical Texts.” April 10, 2011. American Education Research Association Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- “Young Urban Bilingual Preschooler’s Response with Critical Literature.” April 8, 2011. Scholar’s Week. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Critical Discussion & Family Book Clubs: An Overview.” March 29, 2011. Hobgood Elementary. Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- “Let’s Talk: Creating Parent-Child Book clubs.” March 12, 2011. Tucson Book Festival, Tucson, Arizona.
- “Family Book Clubs (co-authored with Debbie Rowe).” January 19, 2011. Literacy Studies Colloquium. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Using Technology to Enhance Adolescent Literacy in a University-School Partnership.” October, 27, 2011. Instructional Technology and Innovative Teaching Share Fair. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Exploring Conversations and Connections with Critically Conscious Literature.” Nov. 19, 2009. NCTE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Moving Toward Global Understanding: Multiple Perspectives of International Children’s Literature with Preservice Teachers and Inservice Teachers.” Oct. 3, 2009. USBBY. St. Charles, Illinois.
Local Service In-State & Schools
- 2020 to present Book Chats (Authors Presents their books to Teachers on Zoom)
- 2019 to present Global Literacy PD PLC JE Moss
- 2019 to present Antioch & McMurray Middle School (ELL Partnership)
- 2019 to present Board Member for Youth Encouragement Services & Literacy Lead
- 2018 to 2019 JE Moss (Culturize Book Study, Spark Grant-In Process)
- 2018 to 2019 Cole Elementary (Teaching ELL Endorsement Classes)
- 2018 to 2019 Lipscomb Academy Fellowship: Writing Initiative 5th-12th Grade
- 2017 to present Pre-8th Alignment Team MNPS: Literacy Team
- 2017 to 2019 TN Literacy Teacher Education Network (Worked on Literacy Standards for the State)
- 2017 to present Super Summer Partnership (ELL Endorsement Classes with Lead, Knowledge & MNPS schools)
- 2016 to 2017 Lakeview Elementary Partnership (Taught Courses & Directed Family Lit. night as field experience)
- 2015 to present J.E. Moss Partnership (Directed Several Literacy Nights & Read to Be Ready Camp)
- 2014 to present Lipscomb Academy Middle School Fellowship (Focus: PD & Coaching on Comprehension & Writing)
- 2013 to 2015 Cane Ridge Elementary, Cane Ridge, TN (Close Reading Strategies)
- 2012 to 2013 Cornersville Elementary, Cornersville, TN, International Texts and Rural Schools
- 2011 to 2012 Hobgood Elementary Service Project: International Perspectives of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms
- 2011 to May 2012 New Hope Academy: Family Backpacks & Talk
- 2011 to May 2012 Glenview Elementary: Preschoolers & Bilingual Talk