Management, Entrepreneurship & Marketing
Leanne is a Nashville native, born one frosty morning at Vanderbilt before her father could park the car. She graduated from Hillwood High School and met her husband, Stan ('86, '92), as an undergraduate at Lipscomb ('89, '09 and MTSU '04). They have two grown daughters and a son-in-law who make the world more beautiful through their creative talents. Leanne's teaching highlights include two Outstanding Teacher awards ('10, '18); traveling to Florence ('20), Prague, Vienna, Budapest (2014); London, Brussels, The Hague, Paris, Geneva, Frankfurt (2011-2013); and Hong Kong, Beijing (2008-2010) with students; and teaching in Lipscomb's LIFE Program at The Tennessee Prison for Women ('12-'19).
In addition to serving as an associate professor of management in the College of Business at Lipscomb, Leanne writes fiction. Her third novel, Alone in a Cabin, is her newest release.
BA in Speech Communication, Lipscomb University (1989); MS in Mass Communication, MTSU (2004); MBA in Leadership, Lipscomb University (2009).
Management, Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Business Communication
- Women in Business
- Servant Leadership
- The Job Search Process
- Business Writing
- People Skills
- Smith, L. W. & Liddle, B. (2019). "Tesla in the Driver's Seat." Journal Of Critical Incidents.
- Capps, C. G., Reid, B., & Borchers, A. (2018). "Was Gluten Free a Recipe for Theft?" Journal Of Critical Incidents.
- Capps, C., Touchstone, R., Eldridge, R., Smith, L., & Borchers, A. (2018). The Evolution of a Christian Business School's Mission-Bringing "Business As Mission" to a Business School's Mission. Christian Business Academy Review.
- Smith, L. (2013-2014). "Mentorship." Intersections of Faith & Culture Magazine, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Smith, L. W. (2013). My Favorite Assignment: Selections from the ABC 2012 annual convention Honolulu, Hawaii. Business Communication Quarterly.
- Smith, L. (July, 2010). 'What Ruth Taught Me About Reputation.' Campus Crosswalk, an online campus resource.
- Yoho, S. K. & Smith, L. W. (2004). Teaching Management Principles: Can Hollywood Help? Southeastern Conference on Teaching Business Administration.
Thirty plus years of writing and editing experience. Professional memberships in American Christian Fiction Writers, Association for Business Communication, Historical Novel Society, and Society for Case Research.
- Leaving Independence (historical fiction, Waterfall, 2016)
- A Contradiction to His Pride (historical fiction, Ingram, 2018)
- Alone in a Cabin (contemporary romantic suspense, Ingram, 2021)
Learn more about Leanne Smith
- Outstanding Teacher awards (Lipscomb, 2010 & 2018)
- NASBA Center for Public Trust Making a Difference award (2014)
- ACBSP Region 3 Teaching Excellence award (2011)
- Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, (Lipscomb, 2009-2010)
- Innovator Award (Career Development Center, Lipscomb, 2010-2011)
- Smith, L. W., Liddle, B., & Capps, C. (2019-2020). Servant Leadership: What it is, Why it Matters. Christian Scholars Conference, Lubbock, Texas.
- Smith, L. W. & Binkley, M. (2019-2020). Women in Business: Posturing for Gender Differences in the Workplace. Christian Scholars Conference, Lubbock, Texas.
- Smith, L. W. (2018-2019). "My Favorite Assignment: TED Talks." Association for Business Communication Annual Conference, Miami, Florida.
- Smith, L. W. (2018-2019). "Teaching from my Website." Association for Business Communication Annual Conference, Miami, Florida.
- Smith, L. W., Mankin, J., Rivas, J., & Dillingham, L. (2018-2019, October). One University's Experience in Developing An Integrated Undergraduate Program. Institute for Global Business Research, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Smith, L. (2016). "When Something Calls to You, Journey Toward It." Summer Celebration, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Smith, L. (2016). Panelist: New Releases in Historical Fiction. Southern Festival of Books, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Smith, L. (2015). "Mentorship." National Association of Women MBAs, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Duke, A., Smith, & Williams, L. (2015). "The Disservice of Superwoman: Lies, Traps and Myths." Christian Scholars Conference, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Shacklett, L. & Smith, L. (2014). "If Joshua Were Applying for a Job Today." Summer Celebration, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Smith, L. (2014). "Business Writing Basics." Society for Marketing Professional Services, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Smith, L. W. (October, 2014). "Interviews, Pitches & Networking." Association for Business Communication Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Smith, L. W., Eldridge, R., & Williams, L. (2012-2013). The Integration of Business Ethics & Corporate Responsibility in the Classroom: A case study of both curriculum & culture. ACBSP Region 3 Annual Conference, Asheville, North Carolina.
- Smith, L. (October, 2012). "My Favorite Assignment: SALT projects." ABC Annual Convention, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Smith, L. (October, 2010). "My Favorite Assignment: SALT projects." ABC Annual Convention, Chicago, Illinois.
- Smith, L. (October, 2007). "Lessons from the movie Cast Away." ABC Annual Convention, San Antonio, Texas.
Frequent guest speaker/presenter for church and community groups, schools, book clubs, and business organizations.