Monica Sartain, PE, MBA is an Assistant Professor in the Civil Engineering Department of the Raymond B. Jones College of Engineering at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN. She also serves as the Faculty Advisor for the Lipscomb University Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Ms. Sartain is a licensed professional engineer with over twenty (20) years of experience providing engineering, management, and operational services. Her technical experience includes environmental compliance and environmental design for government, public, and private industries, and construction management on commercial, heavy industrial, and transportation projects.
Prior to joining Lipscomb University in 2012, Ms. Sartain most recently served as the Chief Operating Office (COO) of small national engineering firm headquartered in Sumner County. During her time with the firm Ms. Sartain provided executive decision making and oversight on the company’s conversion from privately owned to an ESOP followed by ongoing management of the ESOP, on an accounting system conversion, as well as multiple smaller projects within these initiatives. In addition, Ms. Sartain managed company operations including technical projects and administrative functions. She managed many of the company’s largest contracts while also providing engineering services on projects as needed. Ms. Sartain served on the firm’s Board of Directors from 2017 – 2021 as the Board Secretary.
Ms. Sartain received her Bachelor of Science degree in 2001 from Virginia Tech, and her Master of Business Administration from Trevecca University in 2020.
Bachelor of Science degree - Virginia Tech, 2001
Master of Business Administration - Trevecca Nazarene University, 2020
College of Engineering
- ENGR 1113 - Lab
- ENGR 3943 – Engineering Economics & Project Planning
- CEE 4413 – Construction Project Planning & Management
- CEE 491V – Special Topics – Civil Engineering
- ENGR 4943 – Interdisciplinary Design I Lab
- ENGR 4953 - Interdisciplinary Design Project Lab
- Distinguished Engineer of the Year – Ms. Sartain was the 2021 Distinguished Engineer Award Recipient from the Nashville Branch and Tennessee Section of ASCE.
- Young Engineer of the Year (Private Sector) – Ms. Sartain was the 2013 Young Engineer of the Year (Private Sector) ASCE Eastern Regional Younger Member Council. The Eastern Region YM Council is comprised of Younger Members from four Regions and includes over 20 states.
- Young Engineer of the Year – Ms. Sartain was the 2013 Young Engineer of the Year for the Nashville Chapter of the Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers.
- Young Engineer of the Year – Ms. Sartain was the 2013 Young Engineer Award Recipient from the Tennessee Section of ASCE.
- Nashville Emerging Leader Award Winner – Ms. Sartain was the 2013 Nashville Emerging Leader for Architecture, Engineering & Construction presented by the Nashville Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011 Daniel V. Terrell Award Winner – The Terrell Award is a paper competition for ASCE Younger Members, Ms. Sartain’s paper topic was Engineering Ethics and the Report Card.
- Received “Top Talent” designation (~1% of site personnel) for work performed as an engineer at the Department of Energy’s Savannah River Site.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Leader Training Committee (2015 – 2021)
- Member Communities Committee, Other Communities Chair 2021-2023
- Key Contact Committee Member, 2011, Chair, 2012 - 2013
- Committee on the Civil Engineering Technologist, 2014- 2015
- Region 4 Governor-At-Large, 2009 - 2015
- Infrastructure Report Card Committee Chair, 2008 - present
- Nashville Branch President, 2012 – 2013, Board Member, 2013 – Present
- Society of American Military Engineers
- President, Ft. Campbell SAME Post, 2015