Skip to main content

Registrar FAQs

The Registrar’s Office provides students with support for registering for classes, transcripts and more to make sure you make progress toward your educational goals and successfully graduate.

When do undergraduate students register for classes each semester?

Each semester there is a designated period of time for students to register for the following semester. For undergraduate students, the process begins with academic advising which is followed by registering for classes. Academic advising and the registration process takes place over a several-week time period. The Registrar’s Office notifies students via email and messages on the student portal in of dates for each semester.

When do graduate students register for classes each semester?

Each semester there is a designated period of time for students to register for the following semester. Graduate program coordinators will notify graduate students of registration dates for each semester.

How do I register for classes each semester?

You can register for classes through the student portal on An instructional video for the registration process is available on

How do I declare my major?

You should officially declare a major once 57 credit hours have been earned (which typically occurs at the end of the sophomore year).

Major declaration forms may be picked up from department chairs and are also located at through the student portal. Log onto go to student services - registrar’s office - scroll to the button of the page and click declare a major.

You should meet with your department chair and complete the major declaration form, obtaining the department chair’s signature.

Once the form is fully signed, email it to registrar [at]

Please allow 3-5 business days for processing in the system.

What should I do if a course is full?

If a course for which you want to register is full, you can email the professor for the course requesting an override to allow an additional student in the class. Most classes are scheduled in classrooms according to seating capacity and additional student capacity is not usually an option.

Select an alternative section of the course or another course that you need to take.

How can I drop or withdraw from a course?

During the first six days of a course you may unregister from a course via your student portal.

  • Go to Click on the All Apps button. From there click on CNS Student Portal-Academics-Registration-Select the correct program version and term. Scroll to the bottom and find the registered courses. (Look for the yellow box with the words registered beside the courses that are currently registered.) Click on the - (minus sign) beside the course that is to be removed from registration. YOU MUST CLICK THE DROP/REGISTER BUTTON 2 TIMES FOR THE DROP TO PROCESS.

Seven days after the start date of a course: A drop/add form must be completed.

  • Go to: Offices/Services-Registrar Office
  • Scroll to the bottom to find the drop/add form. Drop Add form also available in the registrar office. The form MUST be completed including the advisor's signature. If you are a student athlete, a signature from athletics must also be included.

I am trying to register for classes, but I have a health hold. What should I do?

Ensure you have uploaded the required documentation to your Med+Proctor account.

  • You will receive an email from Med+Proctor informing you if your account is verified as compliant once you submit the required documentation. 
  • If you have submitted documentation to your Med+Proctor account, but it is not compliant, Med+Proctor will send you an email to your Lipscomb email informing you of what required documentation is missing and how to obtain it.

Check that your Med+Proctor account has your correct student L number input.

  • You can check your L number by going to your Med+Proctor account and clicking “Profile.”  Mistakes can happen when entering these numbers. The L number is important because the L number entered in Med+Proctor is what corresponds to the program that removes health holds. If your L number is not entered in correctly to Med+Proctor, this can impact if your health hold is removed. 
  • For example, your L number should be entered in the format of “L12345678.” The format of the L number should NOT look like -  “12345679” or “L#123456789.” 

What is the definition of a full time and part time student?

Full-time undergraduate: minimum 12 credit hours per semester.

Part-time undergraduate: anything less than 12 credit hours per semester.

Full-time graduate students: 6 credit hours.

Half-time graduate students: 3 credit hours.

Why should I add my parents to a FERPA Release?

If your parents call the Registrar’s Office asking about your financial/academic information, information cannot be disclosed unless you add them to your FERPA Release. FERPA does not allow the Registrar’s Office team to discuss grades with your parents without your consent.

How can I complete a FERPA Release?

Go to Click on the All Apps button. From there click on CNS Student Portal-My Profile-My FERPA. From the drop-down menu, you are required to complete BOTH the “opt-in” for publicly-available directory information AND the “Consent” to share your personal information with whomever you designate.

In the drop-down choose the opt-in and check all the boxes that apply.

If these boxes are not checked, Lipscomb can not share information such as Honor Roll or Provost’s List. Once all the boxes that apply are checked-click save.

In the drop-down choose Consent. Click the add person: academic and financial information will be released to each person that is listed.

What does it mean when I select confidential status on my FERPA Release?

If a FERPA Release is not completed or if a student chooses “confidential,” NO academic or financial information can be released to anyone except you. This means that your name will not appear in a press release or web story if you qualify for Provost List or Honor Roll honors each semester or in a list of graduates following commencement.

Where can I find my Lipscomb ID #?

Go to - All Apps - CNS Student Portal-My Profile

Your Lipscomb ID # is also located on your student ID card

What steps are needed if I take a gap semester/year? Withdrawing?

To withdraw, complete an official withdrawal form that can be found at the Academic Success Center, located in the Beaman Library. Before the form is submitted it must be signed by representatives from these offices: Residential Life (if you are a residential student), Admissions, Business Office, Financial Aid Office and Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will confirm the last day of your attendance with each professor and process the withdrawal in Lipscomb’s student information system.

How can I request enrollment verification or a letter of good standing?

To request enrollment verification email registrar [at] Please allow 3-5 business days for completion.

To request a Letter of Good Standing, go to - Student Offices/Services - Registrar Office -  complete the request form for Letter of Good Standing and email to registrar [at]

How can I request a transcript?

You may request a transcript here.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas will be mailed to graduates following the commencement ceremony if you meet the following criteria:

  • You must have completed all degree requirements including completion of 126 credit hours with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. 
  • All holds are resolved before a diploma can be sent.

How do I know if my transcript has been received or posted?

The Registrar’s Office will notify you via email after AP score, transfer credits and CLEP credits are posted.

How do I know who my advisor is?

Go to Click on the All Apps button. From there click on CNS Student Portal. The advisor box will list your academic advisor. Click on the advisor name and an email box will appear allowing you to email the advisor.

Who can I contact with questions about my academic record or registering for classes?

Email registrar [at] with any questions you may have or visit