2017 Fall Workshop
THSPA's annual Fall Workshop was held on Monday, Sept. 11, at Lipscomb University. Congratulations to the On-Site contest winners:
- Leah Tidwell (East Hickman High School), winner
- Eva Randolph (Christ Presbyterian Academy), runner-up
- Joshua Leow (White Station High School), winner
- Gabriel Dickey (Christ Presbyterian Academy), runner-up
- Eva McDonald (White Station High School), winner
- Brianna Davis, runner-up
East Tennessee schools invited to NC workshop
Our friends with the North Carolina Scholastic Media Association have graciously invited East Tennessee schools to one of its regional workshops. The Northwest and Southwest Regional Workshop will be held at Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C., on Tuesday, Oct. 10. Registration has not opened yet, but for more details you may contact Olivia Wilkes at email@example.com.
2016 Fall Workshop draws 450
Approximately 450 students and advisers attended THSPA's Fall Workshop on Sept. 14, 2016. WKRN-TV's Bob Mueller told about his career in television journalism and played some emotional clips. He even brought a hand-held film camera that he used to shoot stories in the mid-1970s. You can view his keynote address above.
For the fifth year, the workshop featured an on-site contest, including a photo Shoot-Off for the first time. Here were the winners:
- Feature Write-Off: 1st place, Elaina Joy Sanders, Christ Presbyterian Academy; 2nd place, Lily Thomas, Christ Presbyterian Acaemy; 3rd place, Greta Linsley, Jefferson County High School
- Sports Write-Off: 1st place, Katherine Adams, Christ Presbyterian Academy; Camille Klausner, Christ Presbyterian Academy; 3rd place, Charlie Collier, Centennial High School
- Shoot-Off: 1st place, Tres Lawless, Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet High School
Congratulations to all!
Mary Beth Tinker headlined 2015 Fall Workshop
High-school students in Tennessee had the chance to meet an iconic figure this fall.
The annual THSPA Fall Workshop was held on Lipscomb's campus Oct. 16. The keynote speaker was Mary Beth Tinker, who won the 1969 Supreme Court ruling in favor of First Amendment rights for students.
2011 Fall Workshop
The keynote speaker for the 2011 workshop was Phil Williams, the chief investigative reporter for NewsChannel 5 in Nashville. Williams' work has earned him journalism's highest honors, including two duPont-Columbia University Awards and two George Foster Peabody Awards -- both considered to be broadcasting's equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. Watch his speech above!