Why Lipscomb and Why Social Work?
The Department and Program
Accredited by: Council on Social Work Education (CSWE),
The national accrediting body for social work education.
Program Assessment Data
Member: North American Association of Christian Social Workers (NACSW)
The Department of Social Work and Sociology offers:
- Major in Social Work and minors in Social Welfare and Sociology
A Social Work major at the Baccalaureate level obtains a professional degree, indicating preparation to enter the field as an entry-level, generalist social worker, even without further education.
- Minors in Sociology or Social Welfare
Minors in Sociology or Social Welfare are useful for individuals entering people-oriented professions, including education, psychology, family studies, and ministry.
Social Work Preparation
- Generalist social workers have the knowledge, values, and skills to work with individuals, families, organizations, and communities to improve the quality of life for all.
- Lipscomb Social Work graduates are especially prepared having completed over 500 hours of supervised Field Practicum work!
Social Work as a Profession
- use the context of individual environment
- help individuals fulfill their potential by focusing on, and developing, strengths
- facilitate overcoming challenges, dealing with problems
- Utilize knowledge from the areas of biology, psychology, sociology, and culture to facilitate social work
- help to make the world a better place!
Opportunities for Employment
Lipscomb Social Work alumni are currently working in Christian and secular (private and public) agencies across the state, the nation, and internationally.
Our alumni are:
|Case Managers||Counselors||Social Workers|
|Human Resource Managers|
They work in:
|Courts||Nursing Homes||Mental Health Centers|
|Foster / Adoption Agencies||Child Advocacy Agencies||Agencies on Aging|
|Community Outreach||Dialysis Clinics||State Government|
"Lipscomb Social Work graduates are preferred for employment by area employers!**
Advantages at Graduate School
- Lipscomb Social Work alumni are well-prepared and often preferred for admission into graduate school.
- Lipscomb's CSWE-accredited status makes academically strong graduates eligible for admission into Advanced Standing programs at the MSW level
- This means that Lipscomb Social Work graduates can earn a Master's in Social Work within one year of completion of their education at Lipscomb University!