Advance your career with the convenience and affordability of Lipscomb Online.
You believe in stewarding the Earth, so advance your knowledge with one of the top sustainability programs in the South. Learn the science of sustainability and help both businesses and people transform careless behaviors into mindful habits. Gain field experience to see how theories become tangible and how problems become solutions. Our expert faculty will guide you through green building and sustainable development. You'll learn about what makes sustainable earth systems successful. From conflict management to change management, our project-based learning will sharpen your mindset. Let us put you on the path to make a difference in your own community.
As you study renewable earth systems, resource allocation and emerging technologies, you'll gain the knowledge to provoke societal change. No matter your academic or professional background, sustainability impacts your future. Businesses and organizations will value your insight on corporate responsibility, which will propel you to global leadership. By the time you’re finished, you’ll be equipped with a holistic approach that helps focus on the triple bottom line: people, profit and planet. Add regenerative energy to your community and the world.
Choose the Sustainability certificate, the Building Systems certificate or the Renewable Energy certificate to distinguish yourself in the field. Earn all three and you'll receive your master's degree in sustainability.
Ready to apply? Let’s get started. We’re here to help at every step. Here’s what you’ll need to apply to Lipscomb Online.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Completed online application
- $50 application fee or fee waiver
- Official college transcripts from all schools attended (minimum 2.5 GPA)
- Two professional recommendations
- Interview with faculty
If your undergraduate GPA is below 2.5, please provide a standardized test score or evidence of substantive professional experience.
Steps to Apply
Follow these simple steps to submit your application for admission:
- Complete our online application. Please be sure to list each college you have previously attended.
- Request to have your transcript(s) from all previous schools and colleges sent directly to Lipscomb. Mail to:
One University Park Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
- You may submit the $50 application fee via credit card after completing the online application, or mail a check made out to “Lipscomb University” to the address above.
Program of Study
The 15-hour Sustainability Certificate can stand alone as a graduate credential, or you can apply it toward a Master of Science by completing the Sustainability Certificate, the Building Systems Certificate and the Renewable Energy Certificate.
Sustainability Certificate (15 hours)
ICM 5003 - Survey of Conflict Management
This course is designed to offer a basic introduction to the concepts, instruments, functions and theories of modern conflict management techniques. The purpose of this introduction is to provide some of the information needed to better understand the basic personal, organizational, legal and practical problems facing the world of economic interaction today. First, we will begin with a discussion of interpersonal conflict and its causes. Second, we will look at various forms of business conflict and the legal system’s impact on them. Third, we will examine the process of negotiation and the skill set required to successfully engage in problem solving. Finally, today’s legal system and its provisions for court-annexed dispute resolution will be examined in terms of the opportunities to overcome systemic obstacles to resolution.
SU 6003 - Sustainable Earth Systems
Studies how Earth’s systems are the model for sustainable and regenerative practice. Students will review basic earth sciences and analyze the structure and function of abiotic and selected biotic systems to later apply these lessons to human and natural challenges.
SU 6153 - Zero Management
Represents a growing trend in business and industry to eliminate the financial and legal risk associated with waste and inefficiency. The course will examine all aspects of “net zero,” “net positive,” “regenerative” and “no-net-impact” management within an organization and its unique social and psychological framework.
Prerequisite: SU 6003
SU 6023 - Sustainable Enterprise
Explores business as the model for delivering prosperity and for achieving sustainability in a timely, reliable, affordable, effective and creative manner. It reviews fundamentals of business models, tools and frameworks that are used to incorporate social and natural dimensions in a competitive and profitable manner.
Prerequisite: SU 6003 or consent of program director
One upper division elective
Travel course option available.
Tuition & Aid
Time is precious, especially for a busy adult like yourself. That’s why Lipscomb created personalized online programs tailored to fit your career needs and busy schedule. Lipscomb Online offers the same high-quality degree as our traditional on-campus programs with the flexibility to fit your life. Tuition is $899 per credit hour.
In addition, you can earn up to 6 credit hours in one day through a behavioral assessment in our CORE Competency Assessment Center.
Earn a Lipscomb education in a way that fits your budget through financial aid opportunities like scholarships, grants, loans and part-time employment.
- Grants: You may qualify for federal grants or grants from other sources specific to your program of study and personal background.
- Loans: Finance your education through one or more loans, either from the federal government or a private lender, that you can repay after college.
- Scholarships: Depending on your credentials, you may qualify for scholarships from federal, state and other sources.
- Tuition Discounts: If your employer offers tuition assistance or has a corporate partnership with Lipscomb University, you may be eligible for an application fee waiver and reduced tuition.
- Military Benefits: Veterans, military members and their families attending Lipscomb may qualify for a variety of aid, including scholarships, stipends and tuition assistance.