Student and Parent Information
As every new day brings changes and additional guidelines recommended by local, state and national authorities and experts, we will share the latest information pertaining to students over the next few weeks here and in the updates section of this site.
Below is information for students. Some of this is information pertains to spring and summer 2020 terms when the university began its response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This page is not updated frequently. Please visit the Return to Campus webpage for current updates and information.
Return to Campus Plan
Read more information about Lipscomb's Return to Campus Plan for the careful and safe return of employees and students to campus to begin the fall semester in this email sent to the Lipscomb community. Also visit the Return to Campus webpage for full details and current information.
Important Upcoming Dates
We are excited to welcome students back in the fall! The fall calendar is the same as originally published with fall classes beginning August 24 and the last day of finals on December 16. We anticipate and are committed to providing a full semester of academic coursework so you can continue your academic career path. Here are some specific dates and other information about the fall semester that may be helpful.
- Thanksgiving Break Closure Dates. The residence halls will be closed for the Thanksgiving break from Saturday, November 21 - Saturday, November 28. All residential students must vacate the dorms for these dates. Any exceptions must be approved in advance by the dean of housing and residence life.
- Remote After Thanksgiving. For undergraduate courses, the fall semester will continue with on-campus classes until Thanksgiving break and the last week of classes and finals will be delivered in a remote format. In an effort to be mindful of both additional travel expenses and individual student health concerns, residential students will have the option of staying home after Thanksgiving break and completing their coursework and finals remotely or returning to campus to complete the semester remotely. Room and board fees will not be adjusted if students choose to remain home following the Thanksgiving break. The delivery format for graduate courses following Thanksgiving will be determined on a course-by-course basis by the department and following local guidelines in place at the time.
- Fall Graduation. We will monitor the regional guidelines to determine the format of the December graduation. At this time, we are planning for an in-person graduation program on December 19.
Parent Update Emails
Find the latest parent emails below.
Nov. 16: Remote learning following Thanksgiving break, Post-Thanksgiving campus housing plan, Expanded employee cohorting option beginning Thanksgiving week, Follow basic COVID protocols, Preparing for the holidays, Spring calendar
Oct. 28: All Bisons Care Reminder, Bison Break, Event Guidelines, Flu Shot Reminder, Academic Advising, Countdown to Thanksgiving
Sept. 8: A letter from Dean of Student Al Sturgeon, reminder of free flu shots for students
Sept. 1: Virtual President’s Convocation, Labor Day Reminder, Free Flu Shots and Report an Illness
Aug. 25: Classes are underway, Clarified Mask Policy, Student Wellbeing
Aug. 18: Dining information, Personal responsibility reminder, COVID dashboard
Aug. 13: Personal responsibility
Aug. 11: Move-In Dates, LipscombREADY app, Meet the Student Life team, COVID dashboard, Health tip of the week
Aug. 4: All Bisons Care plan reminder; COVID dashboard information, Link to Parent Q&A with President Lowry
July 30: All Bisons Care plan
July 28: Serious talk from Dean Al Sturgeon, Things to be excited about
July 21: Residence life move-in dates, Student self-isolation plans, Bisons student care plan
July 17: Return to Campus Plan updates.
July 14: Chapel modifications, Community life, Sodexo and dining on campus
July 7: Students requesting accommodations, Flexible and innovative instructional options
June 30: Fall semester academic calendar, Immunizations
June 16: Return to Campus Plan information, Staged return to campus work details, protocols and procedures.
March 18: University officials have made the decision to extend online instruction at Lipscomb University for the remainder of the spring semester. Read full message to students and parents
Room & Board Refund Information (Spring 2020)
The Business Office announced room and board refund information. Read full announcement that was sent to students and parents here. Have questions? Learn more in this Frequently Asked Questions resource.
Updated Travel Policy
To ensure the safety of those in the Lipscomb community we are constantly reviewing our policies and procedures to ensure we have the best policies in place as the circumstances change. You can find the most current travel policy on the COVID-19 website here. We want to share with you the University’s slightly revised travel policy which is summarized below.
Until further notice, all school-sponsored international travel is fully restricted to any country or area that meets any of the following criteria:
- Has a rating by the CDC at a Level 3 or higher, or
- Is referenced in applicable CDC guidelines, or
- Is restricting or banning travel.
Any member of the Lipscomb community who travels to a location that meets any of these criteria or travels via a cruise to any location is restricted from campus for a 14-day period from the date the trip ends.
If this situation applies to you, employees should inform your supervisor and human resources. Additionally, any employee or student who will be traveling outside of the United States during Spring Break is required to notify University officials of your plans using this form. The list of affected countries and the warning level is dynamic. We encourage you to monitor developments, including the list of countries that are at a Level 3 or higher, through the CDC website.
Academic Resources for Students (Spring 2020)
These resources have been developed by the Office of the Provost to assist students during spring semester.