Community Recycling Collection: Household and Electronic Waste
To celebrate America Recycles Day, Nov. 15, Lipscomb Academy Elementary School and Lipscomb University are hosting household and e-waste collections on Saturday, Nov. 10, and Thursday, Nov. 15.
On Nov. 10 household and electronic waste will be collected at the Lipscomb Academy High School football field in Green Hills, at the corner of Caldwell and Lealand lanes, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Shred-It Nashville will also be on-site from 9 a.m. to noon.
On Nov. 15 (America Recycles Day), household and electronic waste will be collected at the Lipscomb Academy Elementary School campus at 4517 Granny White Pike.
Officials will be on hand to collect unused and out-of-date medications at both collections.
The Lipscomb collections will benefit various local charities.
- The used cell phones collected will be donated to Cell Phones for Soldiers.
- Proceeds from the recycled newspapers will benefit Lipscomb Academy Elementary School environmental education.
- Proceeds from aluminum cans collected will benefit the elementary school’s Monarch Project, which helps provide a living wage for poor workers in Mexico.
Proceeds from the plastic bottles recycled will be collected by Dream Machine Recycle Rally, an organization which supports the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for U.S. Veterans with Disabilities.
Items accepted are listed below. For more information call Linda Phipps at 615.966.6629 or Ginger Reasonover at 615.966.6326.
- Small batteries, alkaline and rechargeable (A, AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button) – No car batteries.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) & fluorescent tubes
- Cell phones
- Mercury thermometers can be exchanged for a digital thermometer
- Unused and out-of-date medications, both prescriptive and over-the-counter
- Ink cartridges
- Plastic bags (grocery store, department store, dry cleaning, etc.)
- Empty chip bags
- Aluminum cans
- Plastic beverage bottles
- Unused and out-of-date medications (on Thursday, Nov. 15)
E-waste items accepted on both days include:
Computers and Peripherals
Complete and partial systems (working or not), processors (CPUs), optical drives (CDROM, CDRW, DVD, etc), network and communications hardware (modems, routers, hubs, etc), drives (hard drives, floppy), keyboards, laptops, mice, monitors, network hardware (servers), paper tape readers and punchers, plotters, printers, tape drives
TVs (CRT, flat panel, plasma, etc), microwaves, mixers, phones (corded, cordless, and cellular), entertainment goods (VCRs, DVD players, radios and speakers but NO WHITE GOODS (including: refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers).
Barcode equipment, pagers, copy machines, fax machines, telephone systems (cordless, cellular, desk), security equipment, Cameras, recorders, alarms, VCR's, key pads
Utility and Power Equipment
CATV, cable, electric generators, gas meters, repeaters, transformers, water meters, specialty equipment, construction, production, manufacturing equipment
Aluminum, any gold bearing product, brass, copper, stainless, lead, nickel alloy, platinum, palladium, mercury