Lighting of the Green
The Lipscomb student choruses will join Grant, emcee Lelan Statom, WTVF meteorologist, and additional musical guests such as Buddy Greene, a guitar pickin’ singer/songwriter, and Sterling Gittens, a local Christian artist, to kick off the holiday season with a free outdoor concert beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Allen Arena Mall on the Lipscomb campus.
Additional festivities include:
- Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus posing for free pictures in the Bennett Campus Center beginning at 3:30 p.m.;
- Thousands of Christmas lights including a 35-foot-tall Christmas tree;
- The Branches of Love Hall of Christmas Trees displaying around 40 custom-decorated Christmas trees in McQuiddy Gym. One professionally designed tree, from Knestrick by Design, will be auctioned off to benefit Youth Encouragement Services;
- Food from Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A, Blue Coast Burrito and Pizza Hut will be available for purchase in the Bennett Campus Center; and
- Complimentary hot chocolate and cookies are available for all attendees in the Allen Arena mall beginning at 4:30 p.m.
As a Lighting of the Green first, Lipscomb’s children’s theater program will present an original play, Wolf Calls and Pig Tales, a retelling of the Three Little Pigs nursery rhyme, at 4 p.m. in Collins Alumni Auditorium. Cost is $5 per person.
The event will also serve as a collection event for the Second Harvest Food Bank’s Feeding Hope Challenge campaign to collect 300,000 pounds of food in just 30 days, beginning Dec. 1.
Bringing lawn chairs and blankets is encouraged. Handicapped parking will be available in the Allen Arena parking garage.
Sponsors of the 2009 Lighting of the Green are: Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management, Bacon Construction Company, CareHere, CAT Rental, C. O. Christian & Sons, Constant Craving Caterers, Inc., DSI and NHC.