Our goal is to help students, whatever their level of writing or subject matter, perfect what they already do well in a welcoming, comfortable, and creative atmosphere, with a dedicated staff that will review written work interactively, objectively, and with patience and understanding.
Making an appointment:
- Go to http://lipscomb.mywconline.com.
- If you have not already visited the site, you will be asked to register.
- After registering, click on the available white box for the day and time that you would like to schedule an appointment. Put your information in one box for a 25-minute session; put your name in two consecutive boxes for a 50-minute session.
- Answer the questions about your appointment and intentions for the session.
- Show up on time for your appointment, and let the consultants (who wear the purple LUWS tags) know that you are here!
- Clients may have only one 25 or 50-minute appointment per day.
- Clients may have only one appointment on the appointment book at any given time (unless they have spoken with Dr. Stacia Watkins about setting up long-term sessions).
- Clients who are 10 minutes late for an appointment will be considered a no-show, and the appointment will be canceled.
- Clients who exhibit disruptive behavior may be asked to leave the LUWS (this includes the use of cell phones).
- Sessions may be discussed with other staff members, directors, and your instructor.
- Consultants will not edit or proofread your writing assignments.
- LUWS attendance does not guarantee a passing grade for a paper and/or course.
- Clients who miss three scheduled appointments without canceling will not be allowed to schedule appointments in the Writing Studio for the remainder of the semester. The client should email Dr. Stacia Watkins (email@example.com) to be reinstated in future semesters.
- The Writing Studio caters to students, faculty, and staff of Lipscomb University. If you are a high school student looking to receive help, you must be 18 years or older to visit the Studio. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy, please email Assistant Director Katie Sealy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By making an appointment in the Writing Studio, you are agreeing to the following:
- I understand that the Writing Studio consultants will not write, proofread, edit, or correct my paper, but will provide comments and assistance on areas that could be more effective.
- I understand that the Writing Studio is staffed by humans who make mistakes and that I may choose to accept or to reject their advice.
- I understand that I am ultimately responsible for the quality and content of my own paper and that the consultant can neither guarantee nor predict a grade for my paper.
Prepare for your session
Make sure to bring a hard copy of your writing or bring your computer to the session. You will need the assignment sheet or prompt, as well as a writing utensil to make notes.
What to do when you come to the center
Please sign in on the computer at the front of the ASC. If you have an appointment, our consultants can work with you at the time that your appointment is scheduled. Walk-ins are welcome, but may have to wait for assistance if the studio is busy.
The Lipscomb University Writing Studio also offers tutoring for students who wish to improve their writing skills through weekly, hour-long sessions. Long-term tutoring is available for students working on theses/dissertations, general improvement in grammar and punctuation, and test preparation (GRE, PRAXIS, etc.). If you are interested in participating in the Writing Studio's long-term tutoring plan, please print and take the Grammar and Punctuation Diagnostic Tests. Once you have finished the tests, please leave them in the Writing Studio, and contact Dr. Stacia Watkins at email@example.com. After you have taken the test, you will be placed with a tutor based on the availability of both client and consultant. If you have questions regarding the tests or long-term tutoring in general, please contact Katie or the Writing Studio Director, Dr. Stacia Watkins.
?In the summer semester, we only take appointments by request. To request an appointment, please email Dr. Stacia Watkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance with several times that you are available. Thank you!
The Writing Studio may close on Study Day and during Exam Week. Hours, if available, will be posted. The studio will be closed on all university holidays and breaks. This schedule is subject to change without notice due to consultant availability.
If you are interested in training to become a consultant, please contact Stacia Watkins by calling extension 5150 on campus or 615.966.5150 off campus, by e-mailing email@example.com, or by visiting her office in Beaman 231. Applications are available under the “Contact Us” link.