Eddy C. Borera
- PH.D. in Computer Science, Texas Tech University (2012)
Topic: Applying Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes in Anesthesia Control.
Advisor: Dr. Larry D. Pyeat
- M.S. in Computer Science, Texas Tech University (2010)
Thesis: Pruning POMDP Linear Functions with the Kaczmarz Iterative Method.
Advisor: Dr. Larry D. Pyeatt
- B.S. in Computer Science, Abilene Christian University (2008)
Minor in Mathematics.
Previous Employment and Extracurricular Activities
- Graduate Research Assistant — Texas Tech University — Developed novel techniques
to optimize existing Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes (POMDP) solvers
and apply them in silico in closed-loop control of anesthesia. Applying Machine learn-
ing algorithms — Artificial Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Clus-
tering, and Bayesian techniques — in anesthesia control. (2010-2012)
- Graduate Research Assistant — Texas Tech University— Developed and applied filter-
ing techniques, which are based on hyperplane arrangements, to Partially Observable
Markov Decision Process.(2008-2010)
- Web Programmer — Abilene Christian University— Maintained and upgraded the ACU
I.T website and work orders system (Motorhelp) using PHP/MySQL/JQuery.
Extended the department’s web applications to include an easy to use online appoint-
ment systems for customers, along with user friendly charts to track work orders and
feedbacks from customers.
- Eddy C. Borera, Brett L. Moore, and Larry D. Pyeatt. Partially observable markov
decision process for closed-loop anesthesia control. In Proceedings of the 20th Euro-
pean Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), pages 949–954, Montpellier, France,
August 27–31 2012.
- Eddy C. Borera, Brett L. Moore, Anthony G. Doufas, and Larry D. Pyeatt. An Adaptive
Neural Network Filter for Improved Patient State Estimation in Closed-Loop Anesthe-
sia Control. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial
Inteligence (ICTAI), Boca Raton, Florida, USA, November 7–9 2011.
- Eddy C. Borera and Larry D. Pyeatt. Offline policy optimization: Using online monte
carlo simulation-based techniques to deal with changes in dynamic environments. In
Proceedings on the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelli-
gent Systems (ICIS), Guangzhou, China, November 18–20 2011.
- Eddy C. Borera, Madhi Naser-Moghadasi, Arisoa S. Randrianasolo, and Larry D.
Pyeatt. POMDP Filter: Pruning POMDP value functions with the Kaczmarz Iterative
Method. In Proceedings of the 9th Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intel-
ligence (MICAI), pages 254–265, Pachuca, Mexico, November 2010. Springer.
Honors and Awards
- Third Place, ICAPS 2011 International Probabilistic Planning Competition (IPPC). 2011
- VP ARRA Fellowship, Texas Tech University. 2011
- CS Department Competitive Scholarship, Texas Tech University. 2008-2010
- Madagascar Presidential Scholarship. 2004-2008