A welcome from the Founding Director
Tread lightly. Leave your mark. You’ll see that sentiment all over this institute! Lipscomb is proud to be educating the next generation of green professionals who will lead businesses and communities toward a sustainable future. A relatively new academic discipline, sustainability is not the narrowly focused pursuit that many come to us thinking it is. It is much broader and more exciting! An expert in sustainability is someone who has the skills and knowledge to lead an organization to the type of sustainable culture and practices that translate into bottom line results.
And even though it is a young profession, our faculty includes people who already have done it successfully within organizations and can lead our students through an experiential education that equips them well on Day One of their first job in sustainability. Faculty background includes a global sustainability manager, a nationally recognized leader in food justice, fellows in the Biomimicry Institute, a state environmental policy director – bringing a highly comprehensive experience set that is invaluable in helping students find areas of specialty that interests them.
Lipscomb's sustainability programs equip students for a variety of careers in corporate, small businesses, public policy administration, facility management, construction, green development and renovation, sustainability consulting, entrepreneurship and other opportunities that demonstrate the value of sustainability for people, the planet and prosperity. Join us.
Key things to know about Lipscomb’s Institute for Sustainable Practice:
- Lipscomb's ISP was the first college-level Sustainability program in the Southeast
- Ranked in the Princeton Review’s 332 Green Colleges
- Our students have come from 4 countries and several states
- Only comprehensive Sustainability program in the region
- Offering both undergraduate and diverse graduate degree options
- Experienced practitioner faculty from a wide range of disciplines
- ISP organized and hosted Tennessee's first 5 Sustainable Business Summits
- Our alumni have served in leadership roles with:
- Urban Green Lab
- Hands on Nashville
- National Wildlife Federation
- Vanderbilt Sustainability
- US Green Building Council
- and many more!
G. Dodd Galbreath
800.333.4358, x. 1771
Emily Stutzman Jones M.S. PhD candidate