Lipsccomb AAPS Student Chapter
The American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) recently approved the establishment of a student chapter at Lipscomb. AAPS is a professional scientific society of more than 12,000 members employed in academia, industry, government and other research institutes worldwide. Founded in 1986, AAPS provides a dynamic international forum for the exchange of knowledge among scientists to enhance their contributions to health. AAPS offers timely scientific programs, ongoing education, opportunities for networking and professional development.
Currently, AAPS supports 85 student chapters at schools of pharmacy in the U.S., Africa, Brazil, Canada, China, Italy, Mexico, Singapore, India, Australia, Greece, France, Puerto Rico and Israel. Designed to serve the needs or interests of students studying in the pharmaceutical sciences, AAPS student Chapters enable students to:
• Increase their awareness of career opportunities in the pharmaceutical sciences;
• Gain access to educational opportunities where they will learn various aspects of drug development;
• Take advantage of opportunities for professional advancement and leadership development;
• Enhance their knowledge of the latest advances and discoveries in the pharmaceutical sciences; and
• Participate in outreach activities of AAPS at the local, regional and national levels.
The mission of the Lipscomb University AAPS student chapter is to encourage student participation in AAPS activities and to enhance educational, research and career opportunities in the pharmaceutical sciences. Recent chapter activities include: student pharmacist attendance at the AAPS annual meeting in Chicago, Ill., (November 2012), service at Room in the Inn, and attendance at a presentation by guest speaker, Dr. Brandi Puet, from Aegis Sciences Corporation, who discussed her role as a pharmacist at Aegis (January 2013). New members are always welcome. Please see one of our chapter officers or Dr. Susan Mercer (faculty advisor) for additional information.
The elected AAPS chapter officers for the 2012-2013 academic year are:
Chair - Roderick Bugawan (P2)
Chair-Elect - Stephen Farrand (P2)
Vice Chair - Brittany Duerk (P1)
Secretary/Treasurer - Emily Douglas (P2)
Undergraduate Liaison - Emily Holder (Junior)