Serving is a trait that is a strong thread in the fabric of Lipscomb University’s employee culture.
Not only do academy and university faculty and staff give sacrificially of their time and talents, they also support the institution financially in a significant way through the Lipscomb Fund, the annual employee fundraising campaign.
This year’s family campaign — We Are Lipscomb — officially launched Thursday, Aug. 14, and will run through Sept. 12. The goal is for all employees to contribute to the Family Campaign. Last year, 95 percent of Lipscomb employees participated in the program, with 54 departments and offices achieving 100 percent participation from its staff.
“It speaks volumes when the people who work and serve here every day are willing to support the institution financially,” said Sonja Hayes, director of the Parents Program and assistant director of special campaigns. “Our employees believe in Lipscomb and Christian education so strongly that they also give their funds to help support this work. When we talk to foundations and other organizations about supporting the institution, it says a lot about Lipscomb that our employees are so supportive.”
The co-chairs of this year’s family campaign are Walt Leaver, vice president for university relations, and Justin Myrick, dean of the Raymond B. Jones College of Engineering.
“We ARE Lipscomb,” said Myrick. “Our students who graduate talk about the great faculty they had and the staff who were nice to them. They talk about the faith they developed and the excellent education. That is worth giving to. Our gifts of time and dedication are critical. Our gifts of money are also needed as we are examples to others.”
Leaver has experienced Lipscomb not only as an administrator, but also as a student, an alumnus and a parent of students.
“Whatever one’s role is in the university, you are not only a part of its success, you are what keeps us moving toward an even greater future,” said Leaver. “Our employees’ support of the family campaign is important to our campus, our students and to the community.”
The Lipscomb Fund is comprised of unrestricted gifts that may be used to support programs that the institutional budget does not cover completely. The fund supports areas such as:
- Instruction and academic support—Operating and labor costs associated with educating students;
- Student services—Singarama, the yearbook, campus life, freshmen orientation, career services, counseling services, health services, admissions, athletics activities, campus recreation, intramural programs, registrar services and other initiatives;
- Institutional support and technology such as email, wireless connectivity, computing, special events, alumni relations, marketing, development, human resources, campus safety, risk management and post office services;
- Scholarships—Financial aid for students to reduce the cost of attending Lipscomb; and
- Physical plant—Operating and labor costs associated with campus enhancement, including building insurance, utilities, renovations and building improvements.
Employees may make a gift by contacting Hayes or completing an online form (click here) as part of this campaign through Sept. 12. Those who submit their gifts or pledges by Aug. 29 will become a Family Campaign Pacesetter. In the first two days of this year’s campaign 12 percent of Lipscomb employees have submitted their participation forms.
For more information, contact Sonja Hayes at 615.966.5720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.