Lipscomb University’s Lady Bison basketball team has declared Monday night, Feb. 21 as Think Pink/Pack the House for Cancer Awareness Night in Allen Arena.
The Lady Bisons, donned in pink uniforms, will face the Spartans from the University of South Carolina-Upstate at 7 p.m. Admission is free with a suggested donation to the game's beneficiaries, St. Thomas Women's Health and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Pink jugs will be available throughout the arena for contributions.
Think Pink Night will include a bevy of prizes and giveaways to ensure an entertaining night for everyone.
- Chick-Fil-A in Brentwood is bringing their famous cow to present lucky winners with free Chick-Fil-A for a year;
- Hampton Inn Brentwood has offered a one-night romantic getaway for some lucky season ticket holders;
- Smith Seckman Reid, Pepsi Bottling Group, Street Tuxedo Rental and Lipscomb Campus Ministry have signed on as partners;
- Lipscomb’s Student Government Association is sponsoring free Think Pink/Pack the House T-shirts for the first 500 students and cash prizes for contests during the game; and
- The Lipscomb Bookstore has promised free textbooks for one semester to a lucky winning student in the “Backwards Free Throw” contest.
The Lady Bisons are partnering with Baptist Sports Medicine, the healthcare provider for Lipscomb Athletics, to raise money and to increase exposure for St. Thomas Women’s Health Services. The Pack the House event is part of an NCAA initiative for women’s basketball, but the Lady Bisons chose to blend it with the Think Pink effort championed by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.
“Breast cancer and other types of the disease have affected so many of us, we wanted to do something to make a difference,” said Lady Bison Leah McAlister. “We’ve chosen this night to focus attention, to raise money for research, and to encourage steps toward prevention.”
The WBCA began its initiative in 2007, and in 2010 more than 1,800 participants came together to surpass $1,045,000 in donations and reached more than 922,000 fans across the nation.
Area churches and local civic clubs are especially encouraged to attend. For more information, please contact Paul Nance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615.966.5967.