Deposits are $100 (trips w/o plane tickets), $150 (trips w/ plane tickets & under $2,000), or $200 (trips w/ plane tickets & $2,000+). They are non-refundable and to be paid by the participant or their immediate family. Deposits are required to be paid within 10 days of completion of registration. The money covers the following:
- Deposit on plane ticket
- Missions fee (travel/health insurance, team leader subsidy, business reply envelopes, other administrative costs)
Where To Start
It is important to understand the fundraising process before beginning. Team members are not just asking people to give them money so they can travel somewhere; they are inviting others to be a part of your ministry. Mission trip fundraising is as much of a spiritual process as it is a financial one. Review the following resources for additional insight, particularly the Fundraising Seminar powerpoint:
- FUNDRAISING SEMINAR (PPT presentation - detailed information)
- The Spirituality of Fundraising (Henri Nouwen commentary)
- GoCorps' Ministry Partner Development Manual
- SVM2 Abandoned Times: Support Raising
Prior to writing a single letter, come up with a list of at least 40 contacts to whom the letters will be sent. Brainstorm different categories of people (family, friends, churches, local contacts, etc) and then add people within each category. Seek assistance from others (family members) in coming up with potential ministry partners (donors).
When you begin to write, be sure to personalize each letter. After that, include the following information:
- Trip description, purpose, and details
- Why you're going; why this trip appeals to you
- Request prayers on behalf of trip
- Cost (individual and team totals, itemized breakdown of expenses)
- How to donate (check and credit card)
- Personal contact info (phone, email, mailing address)
- Business reply envelope - place one of these in an envelope with each letter you send; can be found in the Missions Center. These allow potential donors to mail in their donations without having to pay for postage.
How To Donate
In the section above it was stated that letters should include instructions on how to donate to a team member's mission trip. There are 2 options:
- Check: Checks are to be made payable to Lipscomb University. In the memo line, donors are to include the participant's name and trip name. Place the check in the business reply envelope (postage already paid).
- Credit Card (Online): Visit www.lipscomb.edu/missions. Click the Give button (center of page - piggy bank) and complete the form through our secure server.
*All donations are tax-deductible, and donors will receive a tax receipt in the mail from the university
Team members can check their progress at any time. We provide daily updates to each team's financial roster. To access your team's financial roster, click here. You will be prompted to enter a user name and password; both are missions13. Select your team from the list of all teams, which opens a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (note: if you do not have Microsoft Office software on your computer, you will not be able to view). The sheet will include each team member's total, the team total, and other information. At the bottom, each team member has a tab that can be viewed in order to see who donated to them.
It is important for team members to maintain communication with their donors. Since they are now a part of your ministry, it is vital to keep them informed. Create a blog, provide periodical updates via phone or email, send thank you notes, and contact your partners following the trip to keep them informed and actively involved in your ministry. This is the most effective way to maintain support for extended periods of time and maintain the "going" side of partnership.