Admission is based on a combination of many factors, including undergraduate GPA, GMAT score(s), professional experience and references. The admissions committee also considers your essay and interview in helping them assess if a Lipscomb graduate business program is the right fit for you. Professional work experience is not required for admittance into the MAcc program. Our average GMAT score is currently 530. More information on the GMAT is located below.
Students are welcome to apply to the MAcc program from all academic disciplines and professions, but students with bachelor’s degrees in disciplines other than business and accounting will need to complete prerequisite work before enrolling in MAcc courses. Students who have taken the following classes – or some equivalent to be determined by our admissions committee - will not be required to take further prerequisite classes.
Business Core (required for MAcc)
- Principles of Accounting I & II
- Business Law
- Principles of Finance or Managerial Finance
- Micro & Macro Economics
- Statistics, Quantitative Methods or Business Math
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Marketing
Accounting Core (required for MAcc)
- Intermediate Accounting I & II
- Cost Accounting
- Federal Income Taxation I
- Principles of Auditing
- Accounting Information Systems
If you have not taken one or more of these classes in either an undergraduate program or another graduate program, you have several options for completing them:
Business Core Options
- Take the appropriate undergraduate courses at Lipscomb OR any other accredited institution. Lipscomb offers an adult degree program in the evenings for working professionals (615-966-5279).
- Demonstrate proficiency through work experience and/or continuing professional education in a specific area. A written test will be required to demonstrate this proficiency.
- Pass the CLEP test(s) for the appropriate course(s). For more information, contact the Testing Center at Lipscomb (615-966-6294).
Accounting Core Options
- Take the appropriate undergraduate courses at Lipscomb OR any other 4-year accredited institution. Lipscomb offers an adult degree program in the evenings for working professionals (615-966-5279).
- The Certificate of Accountancy (CAP) program offers students the opportunity to complete accounting core classes in the summer or in 12 to 18 months in the evening (615-966-5738).
The Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT measures mathematical, verbal and analytical writing skills. Over 1,900 schools use the GMAT to help in assessing the qualifications of graduate applicants.
GMAT Test Tips
• Go to mba.com or call 1-800-717-GMAT to find the closest testing center and schedule your exam. The cost for the exam is $250.
• At the GMAT test site – mba.com – you will find official GMAT guides, free test preparation software, test taking strategies and sample writing topics.
• Study guides are available at local and online bookstores. The following study prep resources are available (these resources are subject to change; Lipscomb does not endorse these programs, but offers them as a reference):
Virtual Veritas – veritasprep.com/gmat
PowerScore – powerscore.com/gmat/locations/
Kaplan GMAT Review – KapTest.com/business
The Princeton Review – princetonreview.com/business/gmat-test-preparation.aspx
Virtual Online GMAT Prep – manhattangmat.com/home.htm
Lipscomb Graduate School of Business offers a GMAT waiver to those applicants who meet the following criteria:
• Minimum 10 years of professional work experience AND a 3.0 undergrad GPA or higher.
• All GMAT waivers must be approved through the admissions committee. Resumes and transcripts must be submitted to document work experience and undergrad grade point averages.