Respondus LockDown Browser Student Quick Start Guide
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a secure browser for taking exams in Blackboard. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Blackboard exam requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser should only be used for Blackboard tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
After you have installed Respondus LockDown Browser on your computer follow the instructions below to take an exam that requires use of the LockDown Browser.
The Respondus Lockdown Browser can be downloaded from this link:
Taking a Blackboard exam with Respondus LockDown Browser
Follow these steps to start Respondus LockDown Browser and to take a Blackboard exam
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser.
(For Windows users, locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (Alternatively, click “Start” in Windows, select “Programs,” select “Respondus,” and then click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
(For Macintosh users, launch "LockDown Browser" from the Applications folder.)
- Upon starting, the browser will go to the login page for Blackboard.
(A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as an instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications, choose Yes when prompted.
- Log into Blackboard by entering your User ID and Password. Select the appropriate course and then select the exam.
- Prior to the start of the assessment, a pop-up window will ask you whether the exam requires a password. The window has a blue border at the top as shown below. (If this window does not appear, it means that you are not running Respondus LockDown Browser.)
- If your instructor provided a password for the exam, select the “Yes” option, enter the password, and click the Continue button. If your instructor did not set up the test with a password, select the “No” option and click the Continue button.
- Regardless of the selection made in the previous step, Respondus LockDown Browser will automatically fill in a special password on the next screen with a set of ••••••••• characters. Do NOT edit this password field, even if the exam does not have a password. Doing so will prevent you from accessing the exam
- Click the Submit button to start the exam. (Note: If you attempt to use any browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser to access the exam, the password field will appear blank and you will be unable to start the exam. If your instructor provided an exam password, it will NOT work in this particular password field.)
- The test will then start. (Note, once the exam is started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you will be unable to exit until the Submit button is clicked.)