Welcome from the Director
You have reached a place at Lipscomb that is specifically and intentionally focused in one area: deepening your relationship with God. While other of my colleagues are involved in the very critical work of teaching scripture and ministry, this institute within the College of Bible and Ministry is involved in helping a Christian learn how to draw closer to God and to help others deepen this relationship.
We do this through events—our annual Nurture event and others—through retreats, through experiencing art as worship, through training as spiritual directors and through directed activity and mentoring, through access to a community of people who are stretching and exercising their spiritual potential on a continual basis. Participants in our academic and certificate programs delve deeply into the spiritual disciplines as well as share with a community of believers who are committed to spiritual formation in themselves and in helping others to bring this way of living into their jobs, challenges and potential in deeper spiritual living. In essence, living as God’s instruments in this world.
We invite you to join us for graduate courses or as a part-time searcher who may not have an academic degree in their plans but who wants to develop their skills in helping others experience the deepest joy of Christianity.
Jackie L. Halstead
Director, Institute for Christian Spirituality
Key things to know about Lipscomb’s Institute for Christian Spirituality
- Hosts the annual Nurture conference in the spring, featuring a leading national speaker on spiritual formation.
- Offers three programs on spiritual formation in specific areas:
- Art as Worship, for those interested in connecting with God through art and leading others in this experience;
- Spiritual Deepening for Ministry Couples, for married partners wherein at least one is employed in full-time church ministry; and
- Spiritual Direction, a mentored program to encourage, train and give experience in one-on-one spiritual direction.
- Leads scheduled retreats in which participants experience the gifts of silence, solitude and prayer.
- Offers the opportunity to pause from your busy life with the chapel, Breathe, offered on a bi-weekly basis on the Lipscomb campus.
- Gives training in the classic spiritual disciplines of prayer, scripture, simplicity, and silence and solitude through the Certificate in Christian Spirituality.