We have the following opening in the Lipscomb University College of Education:
Position: Program Director, Igniting the Dream of Education and Access at Lipscomb University (IDEAL)
Reports to: IDEAL Faculty Advisor
Description: Lipscomb University is seeking a Program Director for our IDEAL (Igniting the Dream of Education and Access at Lipscomb) program. IDEAL is a postsecondary education program for students with Intellectual and Development Disabilities. The IDEAL program has the ultimate goal of graduating individuals with improved independent social, communication, and vocational skills who will be prepared to work in a preferred job setting. IDEAL students participate fully in the college environment while taking two classes a semester, participating in extracurricular activities, and taking specially-designed employment skills classes. There is an emphasis on job skills through on-campus and off-campus internships. Ideally, students will leave Lipscomb with a job in place and will be prepared to live and work independently.
- Organize and manage the daily operation of the IDEAL program including but not limited to daily schedules, classes, peer buddies, ongoing assessment, internships, externships, and general daily problem solving
- Plan and teach employment and technology skills classes to the IDEAL students
- Collaborate with Lipscomb University administration, faculty, and staff
- Communicate effectively with parents and other stakeholders
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee program budget and credit card expenses
- Supervise and assign duties to the program staff
- Grade and collect data on goals weekly (both assignments and behavior expectations)
- Prepare end-of-term and/or end-of-semester progress reports
- Promote the safe and efficient participation of students in day-to-day university and community activities
- Train university faculty and staff to promote an inclusive and supportive environment for the IDEAL students
- Meet monthly with the other TN PSE directors and quarterly with the TN PSE Alliance
- Potential teaching in the College of Education
Education: Master’s Degree in Education or related field preferred.
Experience: At least three years of classroom experience in the K-12 setting and/or equivalent experience in postsecondary transition services is preferred. Experience with individuals with disabilities required.
Job Related Knowledge and Skills:
- A strong commitment to the mission of Lipscomb University
- Excellent speaking, communication, teaching, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills in handling and directing multiple and complex assignments and projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of special education/transition research, curriculum development, and the use of data to drive decision-making
- Excellent interpersonal skills (including team leadership and facilitation of cooperative endeavors)
- Skill in working effectively in a collaborative environment
- High degree of initiative and self-regulation
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Knowledge of adult learning theory
- Effectively present information to various internal stakeholders – Lipscomb administration and faculty members, pre-service teachers, in-service teachers, college and K-12 students
- Effectively present information to various external stakeholders in local, state, and national venues
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Desire and ability to learn
Availability: Accepting applications immediately
Our aim is to make the application process as convenient as possible for you. The online application is the preferred way you can apply for employment. If it better suits your needs, an application can be accessed in PDF format and submitted in person, via U.S. mail or by fax (615-966-7003).
Lipscomb University is associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the institution. Primary consideration is given to staff applicants who are active, faithful members of a congregation of the Church of Christ. Lipscomb University complies with all applicable federal and state nondiscrimination laws and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its employment practices.