Administrative Assistant - IDEAL Program
We currently have the following opening in the College of Education:
Position: Administrative Assistant for the IDEAL Program
Reports to: IDEAL Faculty Advisor
Description: Lipscomb University is seeking an Administrative Assistant for our IDEAL (Igniting the Dream of Education and Access at Lipscomb) program. IDEAL is a postsecondary education program for students with Intellectual and Development Disabilities. IDEAL is accepting their first class in January 2014. The IDEAL program will have the ultimate goal of graduating individuals with improved independent social, communication, and vocational skills who will be prepared to work in a preferred job setting. The IDEAL students will participate fully in the college environment taking two classes a semester, participating in extracurricular activities, and taking specially designed employment skills classes. There will be an emphasis on job skills through on-campus and off-campus jobs. Ideally, students will leave Lipscomb with a job in place and will be prepared to live and work independently.
Primary Function: The Administrative Assistant will work with the program director to provide daily clerical and administrative support to the IDEAL program. In addition, they will assist Lipscomb University students who are volunteering as peer buddies for the IDEAL students.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with daily management of the IDEAL program
- Provide customer service by answering questions, providing information, and communicating with families, students, and faculty
- Coordinate the student volunteers by reviewing course schedules and matching to the schedules of the IDEAL students
- Provide ongoing training and support to the peer buddies under the direction of the program director
- Assist with development of materials for the program
- Assist with job placement at the completion of the program
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: One to three years of experience in a related field (or an equivalent combination of education and experience). Some experience with students in special education is preferred.
Job Related Skills:
- A strong commitment to the mission of Lipscomb University
- Excellent speaking, communication, and writing skills
- Strict confidentiality
- Decision-making skills
- Initiative and independent skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Desire and ability to learn
Availability: Accepting applications immediately
Our aim is to make the application process as convenient as possible for you. The online application is the preferred way you can apply for employment. If it better suits your needs, an application can be accessed in PDF format and submitted in person, via U.S. mail or by fax (615-966-7003).
Lipscomb University is associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the institution. Primary consideration is given to staff applicants who are active, faithful members of a congregation of the Church of Christ. Lipscomb University complies with all applicable federal and state nondiscrimination laws and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its employment practices.