Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
We currently have the following opening in Risk Management:
Position: Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Reports to: Director of Risk Management
Primary Function: Serve as the safety and environmental compliance technical expert, program leader and consulting resource for all members of the Lipscomb community. Core responsibilities include the day-to-day management of EH&S including hazardous disposal, providing extensive training to educate students, faculty, and staff on the importance of adhering to College and environmental protection programs. Working closely with constituencies and Lipscomb leaders, the Specialist will constantly assess current programs to identify functional enhancement opportunities and establish goal, strategies and results oriented metrics to achieve long-term EH&S success.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide compliance assistance, training, recordkeeping, & auditing of all applicable OSHA regulations
- Ensure campus compliance with all federal and state environmental regulations & Lipscomb’s specific requirements
- Serve as campus liaison with OSHA, State Fire Marshal, local fire chief, DEP, EPA, & other local, state, & federal agencies & organizations
- Perform periodic audits of facilities and programs to identify & mitigate potential environmental risks
- Stay abreast of regulatory and best-practice changes in the safety, risk management, & environmental fields
- Coordinate the campus fire safety program
- Conduct strategic planning process for EHS related programs
- Ensure compliant collection, segregation and disposal of all hazardous waste; ensure procedures for classifying, segregating, packaging, storage and transportation of wastes along with tracking documentation, including manifests are followed
- Assess existing operations and provide direction to facilitate compliance with environmental regulatory programs
- Develop educational materials and train required staff on EH&S related requirements
- Utilize proper mix of lecture, video, handout & computer based training options in a customized fashion to educate a diverse workforce
- Liaison with other departments that have environmental related responsibilities such as Physical Plant, Chemistry, Biology, and College of Pharmacy
- Coordinates and manages all activities related to handing of chemical, biological, & radioactive waste
- Organizes and directs response to releases or spills
- Develops and implements a systematic department inspection and safety audit program
- Supports laboratory safety, including: chemical, biological, radiological and physical, and lasers
- Prepares and regularly updates hazardous material management and fire plans for buildings where required
- Works with local officials to integrate university & municipal hazardous material and emergency response protocols
- Assist Director of Risk Management with Emergency Management planning efforts.
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related Science or Engineering field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Three to five years of related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
Job Related Skills:
- Requires computer skills
- Telephone etiquette
- Decision-making skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
Availability: Accepting applications immediately
Our aim is to make the application process as convenient as possible for you. The online application is the preferred way you can apply for employment. If it better suits your needs, an application can be accessed in PDF format and submitted in person, via U.S. mail or by fax (615-966-7003).
Lipscomb University is associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the institution. Primary consideration is given to staff applicants who are active, faithful members of a congregation of the Church of Christ. Lipscomb University complies with all applicable federal and state nondiscrimination laws and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its employment practices.______________