- "Christian Pragmatism: The Freedom and Power to Love" in the journal Leaven, Second Quarter 2002.
- "A Time to Heal": The Diffusion of Listerism in Victorian Britain. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society, 1999.
- “Joseph Lister, 1827-1912.” In Research Guide to European Historical Biography, ed. James A. Moncure, 3649-61. Washington, D.C.: Beacham Publishing, 1993.
- “Edward Jenner, 1749-1823.” In Research Guide to European Historical Biography, ed. James A. Moncure, 3414-27. Washington, D.C.: Beacham Publishing, 1993.
- “The Negro Church in North Louisiana during Reconstruction.” North Louisiana Historical Association Journal 11 (Fall 1980): 19-32.
- Book Review of American Origins of the Churches of Christ (Edited by Douglas Foster) for Restoration Quartery 45 (third quarter) 2003.
- Book Review of Gods of War, Gods of Peace: How the Meeting of Native and Colonial Religions Shaped Early America (by Russell Bourne) for Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture. 72 (September) 2003.
- “Grace and Resistance: Theological Alternatives in Criminal Justice,” Contemporary Justice Review: Issues in Criminal, Social, and Restorative Justice, 2003, Vol. 6(1).
- “Floating at Random Between Liberty and Obedience? Backgrounds to the Second Great Awakening’s Emotional Exercises,” Disciplinana, 62 (Fall 2002): 67-79.
- “The Political Scandal of Christian Anarchism,” Leaven: A Journal of Christian Ministry, 10 (Second Quarter, 2002): 85-90.
- “A School for Prophets of the New South: The Dilemma of Engaging Southern Culture, in Vanderbilt Divinity School: Education, Contest, and Change, ed. Dale Johnson, (Vanderbilt University Press, 2001).
- W.E.B. DuBois: An Encyclopedia, eds. Gerald Horne and Mary Young (Greenwood Press, 2001.) Contributed the entry on “Jesus Christ.”
- American National Biography, (Oxford University Press, 1999). Contributed the entries on James McGready” and “Luther Standing Bear.”
- Fides et Historia: Journal of the Conference on Faith and History—book reviews of Cedric Cowing’s The Saving Remnant: Religion and the Settling of New England; and Regina Schwartz’s The Curse of Cain: The Violent Legacy of Monotheism. Both reviews appeared in 1998.
- Colonial Wars of North America, 1512-1763: An Encyclopedia, ed. Alan Gallay, (Garland, 1996). Contributed the entries on: “Endicott Expedition,” “Miantonomo,” “Narragansett,” “Pequot War,” “Philip (Metacom),” “Pilgrims,” “Praying Indians,” “Puritans,” “Squanto,” “Uncas,” “Underhill, John,” and “Wampanoag.”
- Critical Review of Books in Religion, 1994, ed. Eldon Jay Epp, (1996). Contributed the review of Luis Rivera’s A Violent Evangelism: The Political and Religious Conquest of the Americas.
- Popular Religious Magazines of the United States, eds. Mark Fackler and Charles Lippy, (1995). Contributed the article on The Herald of Gospel Liberty and The Christian’s Magazine.
- “The Godly Insurrection in Limestone County: Social Gospel, Populism, and Southern Culture in the Late Nineteenth Century,” Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation, 3 (Summer 1993): 155-169.
- Religious Studies Review--several book notes since 1989.
- “Christian Realism: A Theology for the American Century,” a review essay for Fides et Historia.
- “The Radical Idea of Christian Scholarship: A Plea for a Scandalous Historiography.” (2005)
- “The Tyranny and Promise of the Master Narrative.” Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion Conference, March 2003, (Chattanooga, TN).
- Respondent for the “Mission Encounters: Roman Catholic and Native Americans” session at the 2002 American Academy of Religion national conference (Toronto).
- “‘Floating at Random between Liberty and Obedience’?: Backgrounds to the Second Great Awakening’s Emotional Exercises.” Disciples of Christ Historical Society—Kirkpatrick Historians’ Seminar, April 2002.
- “In Eternal Peace: Disarming the Heart of the Church.” Restoration Forum XVI, November 1998.
- “To Claim the Soul of the Tradition: A Review of Reviving the Ancient Faith.” Christian Scholars Conference, 1997.
- “Nummusquaunamúckqun Manit: The Devil in the Shape of the Puritans.” American Academy of Religion—Southeast Regional Meeting. March 1995.
- “‘Between Liberty and Obedience’: The Formation of American Religious Identities.” An interdisciplinary colloquium at Chestnut Hill College, Philadelphia. October 1994.
- “Pugnacious Preachers: The Cultural Aggression of Puritan Missions to the Native Americans.” American Academy of Religion—Southeast Regional Meeting. March 1992.
- “A Godly Insurrection: The Advent of Populism in Limestone County, Alabama, 1888-1892.” American Academy of Religion--Southeast Regional Meeting. March 1991.
- “’Christ as Culture’: David Lipscomb’s Political Contribution.” Christian Scholars Conference. Rochester College. July 2004.
- Lord, Help Me When I’m Hurting. Baker Book House, 1989.
- Anchors for the Asking. Baker Book House, 1989.
- Becoming Persons of Integrity. Baker Book House, 1988.
- Jesus: Our Mentor and Model. Baker Book House, 1987.
- Questions People Ask Ministers Most. Baker Book House, 1986.
- Happiness in the Home. Baker Book House, 1985.
- Anchors in Troubled Waters. Baker Book House, 1981.
- A Devotional Guide to Bible Lands. Baker Book House, 1979.
- Discipleship. Biblical Research Press, 1977.
- A Distinct People: A History of Churches of Christ in the Twentieth Century, 1993.
- Willard Collins: The People Person. Twentieth Century Christian, 1986.
- Crying in the Wilderness: A Biography of David Lipscomb. Nashville, TN 1979.
- A Call to Remember: Chapters in Nashville Restoration History. Gospel Advocate Co., 1977.
- "Higher Education Among Churches of Christ," in Thomas C. Hunt and James C. Carper (eds.), Religious Higher Education in the United States: A Source Book, 1995.
- "Single Women in Missions: Japan as a Case Study," Christian Scholars Conference, 1996, Nashville, Tennessee.
- A Fighter From Way Back: The Mexican War Diary of Lt. Daniel Harvey Hill. Kent State University Press, 2002. Co-edited with Nathaniel Cheairs Hughes.
- Winfield Scott: The Quest for Military Glory. University Press of Kansas, 1998. A History Book Club Selection and nominated for the Society for Military History Book Award and the Distinguished Book Award given by the Army Historical Foundation.
- Contributor to America At War. Naval Institute Press, 1995. Calvin L. Christman, ed.
- "Battle of Chapultepec," "Winfield Scott," and "Zachary Taylor," all three entries in James C. Bradfort, ed., International Encyclopedia of Military History, Routledge Press, 2004.
- "Winfield Scott," David S. Heidler, Jeanne T. Heidler, David J. Coles, eds., Encyclopedia of the American Civil War: A Political, Social, and Military History, W.W. Norton & Company, 2002.
- "McClellan and His Mentor," MHQ: The Quarterly Journal of Military History, 13 (Winter, 2001): 88-95.
- "Civil War Training Ground" and "Winfield Scott and the Mexico City Campaign," Cobblestone, (December 2000): 16, 30-33. (Children's historical magazine)
- "Tennesseans in the Mexican War," The Encyclopedia of Tennessee History and Culture, Tennessee Historical Association, 1998.
- "Winfield Scott" and "The War of 1812," Robert Cowley and Geoffrey Parker, eds. The Reader's Companion to Military History, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996.
- "Winfield Scott's Blunder to Glory," MHQ: The Quarterly Journal of Military History, 8 (Autumn, 1995): 78-87.
- "Benjamin Franklin Cheatham at Belmont," Missouri Historical Review, 81 (January, 1987): 159-172.
- "Anti-War Sentiment and Representative John Lawson Burnett of Alabama," The Alabama Review, 39 (July, 1986): 187-195.
- "Conflict in East Tennessee: Generals Law, Jenkins, and Longstreet," Civil War History, 31 (June, 1985): 101-110 (with Guy R. Swanson).
- "Benjamin Franklin Cheatham: The Early Years," Tennessee Historical Quarterly, 42 (Fall, 1983): 266-280.
- Over two dozen book reviews in scholarly historical journals.
- Currently under contract with the University Press of Kansas to write a book tentatively titled, Civil War Training Ground: The Mexico City Campaign, 1847.
- Editing a new edition of Winfield Scott’s Memoirs.
- Schwerdt, Marc. 2003. “Stories of Service: Public Service in the Children’s Literature of the United States and Great Britain.” Politics and Policy 31(2): 195-215.
- Cooper, Christopher A. and Marc Schwerdt. 2001. “Depictions of Public Service in Children’s Literature: Revisiting an Understudied Aspect of Political Socialization.” Social Science Quarterly 82(3): 614-630.
- Schwerdt, Marc. 2001. “Depictions of Public Servants in Children’s Literature in the United States and Great Britain: A Comparison.” Presented at the Western Political Science Association annual meeting, March 15-17, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Cooper, Christopher A. and Marc Schwerdt. 2000. “Depictions of Public Service in Children’s Literature.” Presented at the International Society of Political Psychology annual meeting, July 1-4, Seattle, Washington.
- "Base State Tax System on the Ability to Pay," Nashville Banner, February 5, 1992. Condensed version reprinted in the Nashville Scene, February 6, 1992.
- "Church Participation in Referenda and the First Amendment," Journal of Church and State 32 (Spring 1990): 391-409.
- "Presidential Reaction to Security: A Longitudinal Study," Presidential Studies Quarterly 10 (Fall 1980): 600-609. Reprinted in The “Barberian” Presidency: Theoretical and Empirical Readings, ed. William D. Pederson (New York: Peter Lang, 1989), 169-188.
- "The Battle Between Church and State," Gospel Advocate 130 (October 1988): 54-56.
- "Baker v. Carr: A Tennessee Legacy," Tennessee’s Role in U.S. Constitutional Development. Essays of the Tennessee Political Science Association, (The Association, 1988), 21-22.
- "Cross-State Analysis of Appellate Court Management,” Coauthor, Annual Meeting of the Western Social Science Association, 1993, Corpus Christi, Texas
- “The Politics of Court Management: An Analysis of the Impact of Lawyers in the Judicial System,” Coauthor, Annual Meeting of the Western Social Science Association, 1992, Denver, Colorado
- “In Re Gault and Its Impact on Juvenile Court Management,” Coauthor, 28th Institute of the American Society for Public Administration, 1990, Albany, New York
- “Whistle-Blowers and Administrative Law,” Coauthor, American Society for Public Administration, Region 7 Meeting, 1990, Kansas City, Missouri
- “Liquor-by the Drink: Religion or Politics?” The Citadel Symposium on Southern Politics, 1988, Charleston, South Carolina
- “State Taxing Power and the Indian Nation,” Annual Meeting of the Southwestern Political Science Association, 1985, Houston, Texas