Completing the FAFSA
We encourage all our students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is required in order to receive any federal aid, as well as most Lipscomb aid. When filing your FAFSA, there are a few key points to remember:
- Before you can file the FAFSA, you must have a pin number. If you have not previously applied for one, you can do so at pin.ed.gov. For dependent students, both a parent and the student need pin numbers.
- All FAFSAs are completed online at fafsa.ed.gov. You will need your pin number as well as your social security number to log in.
- Be sure to specify that you want your FAFSA sent to Lipscomb University by typing in our school code: 003486
- To ensure that your tax return information is entered correctly, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available in the Financial Information section. After completing a few yes/no questions about your tax returns, if you are eligible to use the Data Retrieval Tool a box will show up that says "Link to the IRS." Click this button to access your tax information through the IRS website. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool can only be used for tax filers whose tax returns have been processed by the IRS.
- Remember to allow about a week for your FAFSA to be processed by both the Department of Education and Lipscomb University.
- Try to file your FAFSA as soon as possible! The FAFSA for the next school year becomes available January 1st. Even if you do not have your tax return completed by then, go ahead and file the FAFSA. You can always amend it once your return is complete.
If you have any further questions or need any assistance, please feel free to contact our office. We have computers available for any students who need help with any step of the Financial Aid process.