Obtaining an IRS Return Transcript
Here are instructions for using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
Schools are no longer permitted to accept copies of federal tax returns to satisfy verification requirements. If you were selected for verification, you must obtain your tax information directly from the IRS. The two methods for doing this are detailed below. You are strongly encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if you are eligible, as it is the most efficient option.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Once you have completed your taxes, wait the appropriate length of time (two weeks if filed electronicaaly and 8 weeks if by mail), then follow these steps:
- Go back to www.fafsa.ed.gov, log into the student's FAFSA record, and select "Make FAFSA Corrections."
- Go to the Financial Information section of the form
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process, click on "Link to IRS" and click "OK"
- On the IRS website, enter the requested information and click "Submit"
- Check the box to the left of the words "Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA" then click "Transfer Now"
- You should then receive a message that states: "You have successfully transferred your 20xx tax information"
- Be sure to finish going through all the steps and electronically sign (if dependent student, one of your parents also needs to elecronically sign) and submit your FAFSA
- You are not finished until you have successfully submitted your FAFSA and received a confirmation number.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you can request a Tax Return Transcript by following these steps:
- Request a Return Transcript online at www.irs.gov
- On the home page, under Tools, select "Order a return or Account Transcript"
- Under Option 3, select "Order a Transcript"
- Enter your SSN, DOB, and address, then click submit
- Select "Return Transcript" under "Type of Transcript" and select the tax year. (For 2013-2014 FAFSA, select "2012 tax year")
- Click "Continue"
- A confirmation page will appear, explaining your next steps.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- On the automated menu, enter and verify your social security number
- Enter your street address
- Select Option #2 to request a Return Transcript
- Enter and verify the year of your needed Return Transcript. (For 2013-2014 FAFSA, select "2012 tax year")