Dr. Jeanne Gilliam Fain
Associate Professor of Education
Office Location: Ezell 245
Faculty Phone: (615) 966-5068
Faculty Fax: 615.966.7628
Title: Associate Professor of Education
Courses: Instruction and Literacy Courses
Start Date at Lipscomb: August 5, 2013
- B.S. in Elementary Education (Grand Canyon University)
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Arizona State University)
- Ph.D. in Language, Reading and Culture (University of Arizona)
Area of Expertise:
- Integrating Literature and Critical Response into the Curriculum
- Family literacy
Primary Research Interest:
- Sociocultural Perspectives of Literacy
- Children’s and Family-led literature discussions
- Early Literacy
- Linguistic Diversity and Schooling
- International Children’s Literature
- Literacy Response Strategies and Global Texts
Awards and Honors:
- Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award from MTSU Foundation (February 2013)
- Certificate of Excellence in Mentoring MTSU Disabled Services (May 2010)
Grants and Contracts Awarded:
- Tennessee Board of Regents Faculty Research Grant: $60,000 Fain, J. & Howard, M. (TN TECH) The Family and Schooling Literacy Project: Families and Schools Generating Close Readings and Critical Responses to Global and Informational Texts (May 2013)
- World of Words & Longview Foundation: $1000.00, Global Perspectives of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms (September 2011)
- Public Service Grant, $3,892.00, International Perspectives of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms (April 2011)
- ITD Grant Using Technology to Enhance Adolescent Literacy in a University, School Partnership (January 2010)
- American Educational Research Association (2008-Present)
- WOW: World of Words, Board of Advisors (2007-Present)
- IBBY: International Board on Books for Young People (2007-Present)
- Center for Expansion of Language & Thinking (2007-Present)
- International Reading Association (2007-Present)
- National Council of Teachers of English (2005-Present)
- National Association of Bilingual Educators (2005-2010)
- National Reading Conference/Literacy Research Association (2003 to Present)
Publications and Presentations:
- Rowe, D. & Fain, J.G. (2013). The Family Backpack Project: Responding to Dual-Language Texts Through Family Journals. Language Arts.
- Fain, J.G. with Hobgood Literacy Community. (2012). Global Perspectives of Literacy: An Introduction. Worlds of Words.
- Fain, J.G. (2012). Should English Only Be Part of Curriculum & Instruction In Schools? In Eakle, J. (Ed.). Debating Issues in American Education/ Curriculum & Instruction. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Fain, J.G. & Horn, R. (2011). Valuing Home Language In bilingual conversations. In R.J. Meyer & Whitmore, K. (Eds.). Reclaiming Reading: Teachers, Students, and Researchers Regaining Spaces for Thinking and Action. Routledge: New York.
- Fain, J.G. & Jaiswal, R. (2010). World of Words Review: Book Review with Roxanna Jaiswal (undergraduate) of Surrender Tree by Margarita Engle.
Peer-Reveiwed Papers Presented at National Conferences:
- “Family Backpacks, Dual Language Texts, and Family Response Journals.” Nov. 30, 2012. Literacy Research Association. San Diego, California.
- “Young Urban Bilingual Preschoolers’ Engagement and Response with Critical Texts.”
- April 10, 2011. AERA, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- “Strategies for Supporting English Language Learners in an Early Reading First Program: The Family Backpack Program: Child & Family Responses to Dual Language Story books with Deborah Rowe. “ Dec. 1, 2010. Literacy Research Association. Fort Worth, Texas.
- “Issues in Writing & Using Latino Children’s Literature: Developing A Research Agenda: Teacher Knowledge about Latino Literature.” Dec. 1, 2010. Literacy Research Association. Fort Worth, Texas.
Local and National Scholarly Presentations:
- “Current Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Children’s Literature and Close Reading Strategies in the Common Core.” February 3, 2013. Invited Speaker. Trevecca Nazarene University. Nashville, Tennessee.
- “The Lamplighters: The Preservation of Literacy and Recent Children’s Literature.” December 7, 2012. Invited Speaker. Lewisburg Study Club. Lewisburg, Tennessee.
- “Constructing Critical Knowledge and Response in the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Elementary Classroom with critical and global texts. November 17, 2012. NCTE Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- “”Global Perspectives Of Literacy in K-2 Classrooms. November 18, 2012. Hobgood Literacy Community. NCTE Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Invited Session by TBR, “Exploring and Interacting with Multiple Methods of Data Analysis in School and Classroom Based Research. “ (co-presenter Martha Howard from Tennessee Technological University.). October 15, 2012. Qualitative Conference.
- Clarksville, TN.
- “ Constructing Critical Response with Critical Texts and Young Learners.(co-presenter Suze Gilbert.). October 12, 2012. TAEYC Conference. Murfreesboro, TN.
- “Reclaiming Reading: Teachers, Students, and Researchers Regaining Spaces for Thinking and Action (CELT).” Co-presenters from CELT. May 2, 2012. International Reading Conference. Chicago, Illinois.
- “Codeswitching among Latino Children and in Latino Children’s Literature.” November 30, 2011. Literacy Research Conference. Jacksonville, Florida.
- “Invited Discussion Facilitator, for Kathy Short’s NCTE award.” November 17, 2011. NCTE Conference. Chicago, IL.
- “Supporting Urban and Bilingual Families as Writers.” Sept. 24, 2011. Middle Tennessee State Writing Project Conference. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “English Learners Making Sense of Print: A Beginning.” July 2011. ELL Writing Institute. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Young Urban Bilingual Preschoolers’ Engagement & Response with Critical Texts.”
- April 10, 2011. American Education Research Association Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- “Young Urban Bilingual Preschooler’s Response with Critical Literature.” April 8, 2011. Scholar’s Week. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Critical Discussion & Family Book Clubs: an Overview.” March 29, 2011. Hobgood Elementary. Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- “Let’s Talk: Creating Parent-Child Book clubs.” March 12, 2011. Tucson Book Festival, Tucson, Arizona.
- “Family Book Clubs (co-authored with Debbie Rowe).” January 19, 2011. Literacy Studies Colloquium. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- “Using Technology to Enhance Adolescent Literacy in a University-School Partnership.” October, 27, 2011. Instructional Technology and Innovative Teaching Share Fair. Murfreesboro, Tennessee.