A welcome from the dean
Chances are you have a very clear memory of a great teacher who made a life-changing impression on you. You may even have memories of more than one such teacher. The College of Education at Lipscomb University is ready to help you be exactly that kind of teacher for someone else.
Your education here will prepare you well to walk into a classroom and begin the awe-inspiring work of teaching students. On day one. We know this is true because our graduates and employers regularly say as much. In fact, our graduates consistently rank at the very top of those teachers who produce achievement results in their students in their first two years of teaching. Plus, our graduate and employer surveys point to high satisfaction with their preparation and experiences. Beyond initial preparation, our opportunities for continued teacher and leadership development at the graduate level are varied and include doctoral level preparation.
Yes, you will be ready for teaching—or even better teaching if you are an experienced teacher—but you will also be ready for leadership, for innovation in teaching, and for discerning and addressing students’ needs—because we pattern ourselves on the Great Teacher. We believe that faith, when intertwined with professional preparation, results in teachers with greater empathy, better understanding of others and a broader ability to embrace student differences and issues. A keen focus on this kind of holistic professional preparation is what has made us one of the country’s most outstanding choices for teacher preparation.
If you want to be a teacher who consistently makes the classroom a place of achievement and energy, we welcome you to our classrooms.
Candice McQueen, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Education
Key things to know about Lipscomb’s College of Education
- One of top four teacher preparation institutions in the nation as noted by the National Council on Teacher Quality, joining Vanderbilt, Ohio State and Furman universities
- Lipscomb was highlighted for consistently producing teachers that outperform other teachers in the state based on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 3-year analysis of the Tennessee Report Card on the Effectiveness of Teacher Training Programs.
- Founded the Ayers Institute for Teacher Learning and Innovation with the Ayers Foundation to provide high quality, innovative teaching and learning training and resources to improve student achievement across the state of Tennessee
- Ayers Institute has received more than $2 million in grant funds to support both Common Core training and resource creation for higher education and for various school district partners across the state.
- Recipient of more than $2.5 million in competitive grant monies for in-service training for math and science teachers across Middle Tennessee
- Local education partner for Teach for America teaching corps since 2009
- Partnership with Metro Nashville Public Schools in English Language Learning Endorsement program, providing coursework in ESL to over 350 MNPS teachers since 2011.
- 24 subject area certification options
- 14 graduate programs with four specialized Ed.S. programs and a doctoral program
- More than 600 students enrolled in graduate education programs
- Three off-campus locations
- Professional development provider in the first public-school-to-charter-school transformation in Tennessee with Nashville’s Cameron Middle School