Bart Liddle, MBA
Instructor, Health Care Management
Office: Swang 228
Doctor of Philosophy – In Process University of Alabama at Birmingham
Completion of coursework in July 2012
Program: Health Services Administration
Concentration: Strategic Management
Masters in Business Administration – 2001 Belmont University
Concentration – Healthcare
Bachelor of Arts - 1994
Major: Professional Accounting
Minor: Political Science
2012 - Present
- Responsible for the development and delivery of various healthcare management educational offerings.
2010 - 2012
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Responsible for assisting various faculty research projects.
HCA Outpatient Services Group
- The Outpatient Services Group at HCA was responsible for all surgery centers, imaging centers, oncology centers, employed physician practices, and physician sales across the Company.
- Oversaw financial aspects of the Group including accounting, financial and statistical reporting and analysis, budgeting and planning, projections, capital planning, audits and compliance.
- Provided guidance in other areas of the business operations including sales, revenue cycle, HR, payroll, contracts, and supply chain.
- Involved with the development of new business opportunities including the identification of new opportunities, the creation and review of business models and proformas, valuations, due diligence, working through legal counsel and completing the deal.
- Responsible for Group reporting to Senior Management and the Board.
HCA Enterprise Management Reporting
- Developed financial models for the LBO and was responsible for the ongoing comparison of actual results to the model.
- Created and executed an efficient process for completing the total Company quarterly forecasts.
- Worked with business areas across the company and IT&S (Information Technology & Services) to create effective and consistent reporting solutions.
- Served on the leadership team responsible for the implementation of several enterprise-wide reporting solutions.
- Worked on various special projects as requested by the CFO.
HCA Enterprise Resource Planning System Implementation Program
- Led the development of ad hoc reporting functionality related to the Lawson ERP implementation.
- Served as a liaison between IT&S and the business owners. Ensured that the functionality developed by IT&S met the needs of the business users.
ehc.com (a wholly owned subsidiary of HCA)
- Led the creation and development of new internet-base clinical product lines.
- Responsible for the entire product line from conception to completion including the creation of the concept, development of specifications, working through technology requirements, creating marketing strategies, and providing effective training, implementation support and customer service.
- Collaborated with physicians, executive management, graphic designers, software developers, systems engineers, marketers and customer account managers to ensure that the products were successful.
- Oversaw the accounting and financial reporting activities of the organization.
HCA Information and Technology Services (IT&S)
- Responsible for the allocation of all Information Systems costs to Columbia/HCA facilities and for the billing of services provided to outside businesses.
- Modeled, developed, and implemented a new chargeback methodology to recover cost in a fair and consistent manner acceptable to the business and Medicare.
- Designed, created and maintained multiple Hyperion Essbase reporting applications.
- Performed regular financial reporting and analysis for IT&S executive management.
HCA Internal Audit and Consulting Services
- Responsible for completing audits of Columbia/HCA facilities.
- Performed special analysis projects for Management.
KPMG Peat Marwick, LLP
- Performed auditing services for clients in various industries including manufacturing, healthcare, governmental, non-profit and banking.
- Responsible for the planning and timely execution of audit engagements.
- My research focus has evolved into being primarily interested in evaluating various hospital strategies and the resulting organizational performance.
PEER-REVIEWED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, ABSTRACTS, AND POSTERS
O’Conner, Stephen J., Liddle, Bart. Understanding Current Trends in U.S. Physician Employment Through the Conceptual Lens of Resource Dependence Theory. Paper accepted and oral presentation at the European Academy of Management’s Annual Meeting 2012, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Liddle, Bart. Discussant in “Approaches for Development of Networks and Integrated Care Models” Chaired by Eveline Stam-Hulsink. European Academy of Management’s Annual Meeting 2012, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Zengul, Ferhat, Au, David, Liddle, Bart. Eight Years After IOM’s a Bridge to Quality 2003 Report: Is Interprofessional Healthcare Education Evolving? Poster presented at the Association of University Programs in Health Administration’s Annual Meeting 2012, Minneapolis, MN.
Liddle, Bart, Healthcare Reform: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN, November 18, 2011.
TEACHING AND MENTORING EXPERIENCE:
- Taught HA624 - Revenue Cycle for the residential MSHA program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Spring 2012.
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive).
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY:
- Serve on the Board of Directors at Rocketown in Nashville, Tennessee. Chaired the board in 2008-2009.
- Served on the Board of Directors at Youth Encouragement Services.
- Chaired the HCA Annual Giving Campaign.
- Taught with Junior Achievement.
SPIRITUAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES:
Bart serves on the Board of Rocketown in Nashville.
Bart and his wife enjoyed have working with teens at their church for many years.
You can't give ehat you don't have
I am married to Christiana and we have three children Anderson, Bailey Grace and Sterling.