Pastoral Counseling Certificate
The Certificate in Pastoral Counseling is designed for individuals who do not seek to enter the counseling profession but who could benefit from training in counseling. This might include (but is not limited to) professionals in careers such as ministry, education, social work, educators or health care. The 15-hour curriculum acquaints students with basic knowledge about counseling theories and techniques. While the certificate is tailored towards a pastoral curriculum, we do allow for two of the classes to be switched out.
Required courses (15 hours):
- COUN 5103 Theories of Counseling and Personality
- COUN 6153 Marriage and Family Counseling
- COUN 6003 Grief and Crisis Counseling
- GB 5653 Counseling for Church Leaders**
- ICM 5063 Conflict Management in Religious Settings**
**These classes may be substituted with the electives listed below:
- COUN 5903 Introduction to Counseling Skills
- COUN 6053 Multicultural Issues in Counseling
- COUN 6103 Group Dynamics and Group Counseling
- COUN 6203 Child and Adolescent Counseling
- COUN 5203 Introduction to Psychopathology and Adaptive Behavior
- COUN 6303 Substance Abuse Counseling
To view the course descriptions in the current catalog, click here.