Pastoral Care and Aging Certificate
This 15-hour certificate addresses an educational need among leaders in the churches and professionals in religious, educational and social work agencies that work with the older adult population. This program is a great option for professionals serving in ministry roles in churches and other faith-based organizations, as well as to people of faith working in secular fields such as social work and education. In 2010, 53% of those 65 and older reported attending church at least once per week or almost every week (Gallup). Elders, preachers, Bible class teachers and others need a firm knowledge base in how to best serve the majority of their congregations. In 2011, 13.3% of the American population was over the age of 65, compared to 12% just eight years earlier (U.S. Census Bureau). Christians who work with older adults in secular fields will be better equipped to minister to their patients or clients with this certificate program.
- AGE 6003 Aging: An Interdisciplinary Approach (3)
- AGE 6603 Elder Mediation and Intergenerational Communication (3)
- AGE 6613 Spiritual Formation in the Aging and Aged (3)
- AGE 6053 Community and Congregational Resources (3)
- Elective: One 3 hour graduate level elective chosen to meet individual student career objectives, any CORE graduate level competency course, or another graduate course approved by the academic director may fulfill the 3 hour elective requirement
To view the course descriptions in the current catalog, click here: