As a Lipscomb University alumnus, you are welcomed ... and encouraged ... to give back to your alma mater as a volunteer. Engaging a growing alumni body—now more than 35,000 and counting—that is spread across the country is no easy task. Volunteers can be a tremendous asset to the staff as it reaches out to serve the Bison family. Please see the list below for some different ways that you can volunteer.
Alumni Admissions Volunteer
A variety of ways exist for alumni interested in helping the Office of Admissions. Alumni can be essential to the recruitment process, and all efforts are greatly appreciated. Your help allows Lipscomb to make a lasting impression on students considering Lipscomb as their college home.
Here are some simple ways you can help bring prospective students to Lipscomb:
- Recommend a student. Recommend a student whom you believe would be a good fit for Lipscomb and that Lipscomb would be a good fit for him/her. Learn more about referrals and recruiting.
- Host/Coordinate a recruiting event. Assist in recruitment efforts by helping coordinate opportunities to introduce prospective students and their families to Lipscomb. You can help by hosting an event in your home or helping the university identify an event location.
- Identify local high school counselors. Provide contact information about high school counselors.
- Connect with churches. Work with your local church youth group or provide appropriate contact information to plan a visit from Lipscomb to your church.
For more information about any of the volunteer opportunities listed above, contact Karita Waters, director of admissions outreach, at email@example.com or 615-966-6204.
By working with the on-campus Career Development Center, alumni can help students in their searches for internships and jobs.
- Mentor students. Sign up for the Beyond the Bell Tower mentoring program and help new graduates make the transition from college to the workplace.
- Inform Career Development Center about employment positions available in your company
- Inform Career Development Center about internships available in your company
- Serve as a classroom speaker. Campus departments often seek alumni professionals to invite as classroom speakers to provide insight into specific careers and professional life in the "real world."
The successes of the Lipscomb LIVE events have paved the way for several volunteer opportunities. Lipscomb LIVE is just one example of events designed to showcase Lipscomb in your local area. Here's how you can help with regional events:
- Assist with event planning and promotion
- Help contact alumni to inform them about events in your area
- Serve as a local host or greeter at events
- Host/Coordinate networking luncheons, socials, dinners, etc.
- Recruit fellow local alumni to form a local Bison Network, a group of alumni in key geographic areas that promotes Lipscomb in the local area through activities
- Senior Alumni Program. Assist alumni staff with programs, trips and tours for alumni age 55 and up.
- Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD). Help plan events for alumni who graduated from Lipscomb with the last 10 years.
- Council Members. Request to serve on the National Alumni Council or the Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD) Council
- Committee Members. Serve as a member of a reunion committee to help plan and execute memorable reunions.
- Share the news. Forward info (promotions, awards, achievements, marriages, births, deaths, etc.) that you find in the local newspaper or online publications of your fellow Bisons to the alumni office so we can share the news with the alumni family via Bison Tracks monthly enewsletter or the class notes section of Lipscomb NOW alumni magazine.
- Parents Program. If you currently have a student attending Lipscomb, be sure to visit the Parents Program site for important information about activities and events specifically tailored for you!
- Get Social. Join the conversations on the Facebook pages for Lipscomb alumni and GOLD, follow on Twitter feeds for Lipscomb alumni and GOLD; connect via LinkedIn and view alumni event photos on our Flickr photostream.
Ready to Volunteer? Simply click here to complete the Alumni Volunteer form and send us your area of interest. Thank you for volunteering and supporting the Lipscomb University Alumni Association and its programs. Go BISONS!