SPECIAL INFO FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF MUSIC
Please make sure that any students interested in majoring or minoring in music are aware of this information!
General Education Requirements:
Students considering majoring or minoring in Music should NOT take MU 1503 (Music Appreciation).
Students Majoring or Minoring in Music:
Music majors, Music minors, and Worship Ministry majors are required to complete a performance audition and a Music Theory placement exam. A music scholarship audition may meet this requirement, or students may play or sing for the Music faculty prior to the end of their first semester of study at Lipscomb.
A Music Theory placement exam is given during ADVANCE to all Music majors, Music minors, and Worship Ministry majors to determine which beginning theory class (MU 1103 - Funds of Music or MU 1133 - Theory I and MU 1111 - Sight-singing and Ear Training I) will provide the most appropriate placement. This is absolutely necessary if the student plans to major in Music.
Students majoring or minoring in Music should register for MU 2000 (Recital Attendance).
Music majors, Music minors, and Worship Ministry majors are encouraged to enroll in MU 1642 (Class Piano) if the student has little or no keyboard experience.
Open To All Students:
Private lessons are available in most instruments for all students. They need to be aware of the private fee charge in addition to tuition whether they take it for credit or non-credit.
Ensembles available to freshmen and procedures for enrolling:
- A Cappella Singers (MU 1000, 1001) - contact Dr. Gary Wilson
- Concert Band (MU 1050, 1051) - contact Dr. Steve Rhodes
- Jazz Band (MU 1060, 1061) - contact Dr. Steve Rhodes
- Jazz Vocal Ensemble (MU 1030,1031) - contact Dr. Gary Wilson
- Chamber Ensemble (MU 1090,1091) - contact Dr. Jerome Reed
- Opera Workshop (MU 1040, 1041) - contact Dr. Gary Wilson
- University Singers (MU 1010, 1011) - contact Dr. Gary Wilson
- Chamber Singers (MU 1020, 1021) - contact Dr. Gary Wilson
- Chamber Ensembles (MU 1090, 1091) - contact Dr. Jerome Reed or Dr. Steve Rhodes
For additional information, contact Dr. Sally Reid