About Lipscomb Academy
At Lipscomb Academy, we believe that a purpose-filled education is preparation for a well-balanced life, an education where rigorous study is balanced by joyful inquiry, self-exploration balanced by service to others, competition balanced by nurturing those with whom we compete, and spiritual growth balanced by acts of faith. These beliefs are rooted in the knowledge that Christian education is about seeking excellence in all things.
Established by Lipscomb University in 1891, Lipscomb Academy is one of the few private secondary schools in the nation operated by a university. With an enrollment of nearly 1,300 students, Lipscomb Academy is the largest private, PreK-12 school in Middle Tennessee. Since its founding, faith and a Christian perspective have been integrated not only into the academic program, but also in every other facet of student life.
Lipscomb Academy is committed to developing its students into young men and women of character and fostering the spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical growth of each child. This commitment is delivered by an outstanding faculty, rigorous and innovative approaches to education, and an emphasis on servant leadership among many other initiatives and opportunities. Lipscomb strives to maintain its trajectory of excellence in all things by continually seeking the highest quality faculty, programming, and facilities for its students. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, Lipscomb Academy students’ learning experiences take place not only in traditional classroom settings, but also in the larger “campus” of the city and world around them.
The Lipscomb Academy head of school will lead and manage all aspects of school administration in collaboration with the senior vice president who serves as the university administrative liaison to the institution. This leadership requires providing clear direction, fostering innovative approaches to education, expecting excellence in all aspects of the institution, and demonstrating a faith-based approach to education and administration. The head of school is the spiritual, administrative and educational director who provides daily direction, vision, policy and operational practices that represent a consistent and effective model of integrity, efficiency and accountability.
The position also involves strategic, thoughtful and effective leadership and interaction with the school’s faculty, students, parents, staff, university administrators, board members (who oversee both the academy and university), alumni, and donors as well as building relationships in the community and with other leaders in education.
- Advising and assisting the senior vice president and other university and board administration in the development and implementation of policies that serve the best interest of the school’s educational goals and the education of its students.
- Developing clarity and alignment around mission, values and goals.
- Ensuring compliance with accrediting and school membership agencies.
- Providing leadership for the academy’s fiscal policies and financial responsibilities.
- Setting the vision and assisting in the development and administration of the annual budget as adopted by the board.
- Setting the vision and serving as the chief fundraiser as part of the academy’s development initiatives and programs.
- Ensuring the proper supervision and maintenance of academy facilities and property.
- Providing leadership for and setting the vision for all aspects of the academy.
- Ensuring and promoting the highest quality standards for curriculum, programs and faculty.
- Supervising the admission of students and student retention.
- Finding creative and innovative methods to enhance students’ educational experience and quality.
- Evaluating and promoting best practices in teaching and learning, marketing, development and technology
- Overseeing development and maintenance of administrative policies and procedures for the academy, including the student handbook and the faculty handbook.
- Leading the implementation of all recommendations regarding employment, evaluating effectiveness of employees and overseeing all employee operations.
- Developing strategies to continuously improve faculty and staff professional development.
- Establishing and promoting goals and accountability for faculty and staff that result in every student achieving to his/her fullest academic and personal potential.
- Initiating constant, strategic and open communication with all academy stakeholders.
- Serving as the primary spokesperson for Lipscomb Academy.
- Initiating and supervising communication plans and programs to facilitate parental understanding and involvement in school events, initiatives and policies.
- Being visible and attending school events to build trust and cohesion, strengthen parent relations and encourage support of the school.
Minimum requirements include
- A master’s degree in educational administration/supervision or equivalent.
- At least 5 years experience in educational administration.
- Experience in Christian school administration desirable, but not required.
- Demonstrated supervisory leadership at the senior management level.
Personal and General Qualifications:
Qualified applicants must
- Be an active member of the Church of Christ.
- Have the ability to create and lead effectively at the senior management level in a team environment.
- Have the ability to mentor other leaders, build teams and create a supportive work environment.
- Have enthusiasm, appreciation and commitment for the school’s mission.
- Demonstrate proven strength in interpersonal skills and human resource management.
- Be a problem-solver who can engage appropriate parties in the development and implementation of solutions.
- Possess insight into contemporary culture and the challenges facing families, youth and Christian education.
Candidates should send a letter of interest, current CV, transcripts, names and contact information for three professional references and a statement of faith. Materials should be sent to Dr. Candice McQueen, Senior Vice President and Dean of College of Education, Lipscomb University, One University Park Drive, Nashville, TN 37204-3951 or electronically to Candice.email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Evidence of active membership in the churches of Christ is required.
Lipscomb University is associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the institution. Primary consideration is given to staff applicants who are active, faithful members of a congregation of the Church of Christ. Lipscomb University complies with all applicable federal and state nondiscrimination laws and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its employment practices.
For more information call 615.966.7004.