Where What’s Next Is Balanced By Preparing Now
What is IGNITE?
Because of its unique placement on a university campus, Lipscomb Academy is able to offer an innovative opportunity to its high school students: IGNITE at Lipscomb Academy. Students who apply and are accepted into a one-year IGNITE program will experience learning outside of the traditional classroom in areas of study that particularly interest them.
Students in IGNITE programs will:
- ENGAGE in learning through university interactions, panel discussions, and workshops.
- EXPAND their skills through training sessions, fieldtrips, and volunteer programs.
- EXPLORE their future through focused counseling, shadowing professionals, and visiting various workplaces.
For the 2016-2017 School Year we will offer four unique IGNITE programs:
- IGNITE-Leadership and Public Service
- IGNITE-Health Sciences
- IGNITE-Ministry and Missions
Why should a student participate in IGNITE?
Here are some of the benefits for students:
- More focused when entering college
- More specific skills when entering college, such as CPR or debating skills
- Opportunities to meet professors in a major
- Opportunities to meet professionals in a variety of careers
- A better understanding of careers that will be available to them
- An improved resume/college application—more competitive for big scholarships
When does the IGNITE program begin for a student?
Students may begin applying for one of the IGNITE programs in February. Applications are due April 1 and students will be notified of their acceptance in early-May. IGNITE programs are likely to fill up before the application deadline. Priority may be given to seniors and students who apply early. The group of students accepted will then participate in an orientation and training session in May. The following April, students will finish their IGNITE program with a formal capstone presentation and reception.
What does it cost to participate in IGNITE?
The cost for participating in one of the IGNITE programs is $350 per student per year. Registration Fee is due at the student orientation session in May.
When will IGNITE activities take place?
Ignite students participate in one to three learning activities each month as their schedule allows. Learning opportunities include field trips, skills training, university experiences, workplace shadowing and career counseling. The majority of activities take place outside of the normal school day but each semester students will take a day long field trip during the school day. Students can choose from an assortment of activities that fit into their already busy schedules. This could include afternoon, evening or Saturday opportunities.
How do I apply for the IGNITE program?
Rising 10th-12th grade students with a 3.0 GPA are eligible to apply for the program by completing the application at the bottom of this page. During the application process, you will be asked for the name of a current teacher that you wish to complete your reference for this program. If you have any questions, please contact the guidance office. Remember to apply as early as possible and to include your second choice in case the program that you would like to apply for is already full.
IGNITE applications will be available soon