Race for the Cure 2012

 

On Saturday, October 27, the Lipscomb Academy softball team participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K as a service project. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivor-ship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.

 

Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Komen Greater Nashville Race for the Cure is used in Nashville’s surrounding 11-county service area to provide screenings, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund international, ground-breaking research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.

 

After conditioning since the end of August, the softball players and their families participated in the 5K.  Even though it was a cool 45 degrees, windy and misty at 8:30 on Saturday morning, everyone was in great spirits.  The race began at 9:00 and the runners weaved through parts of Maryland Farms in Brentwood. 

 

"It was so much fun and I loved training as a team. Knowing that we had a goal in mind helped us push through and grow closer,” said senior outfielder Janie Lynn Lankford.

 

“I was extremely proud of the girls and I think they felt a sense of accomplishment not only for themselves finishing the 5K but being able to support such a great organization and cause,” said head softball coach, Lexi Myers.