IGNITE Health Sciences will be available to 10-12th grade students who are interested in pursuing careers in all fields of medicine. This includes becoming a Physician, Nurse, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist, Nutritionist, or Sports Medicine Provider among other health care occupations. Students will be exposed to high-quality, specialized learning and internship experiences through Lipscomb University and other resources in addition to curriculum offerings both at the high school and university levels that are closely related to these fields. Training and certification in First Aid, Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation and Auto-defibrillation will be completed.
To be considered for admittance, students must fill out an application, obtain a reference letter from a current teacher, and have at least a 3.0 average.
- Students must accumulate 10 credits of learning experiences during their time in IGNITE.
- During the year-long IGNITE program, students must have at least 5 different learning experiences.
- Students must maintain a portfolio of their learning experiences and give a capstone presentation.
These may include but are not limited to the following areas:*
- Seminars, lectures, films, visits (1 credit each)
- Day long shadowing experiences (1 credit each)
- ½- 1 day workshops/ training (1 credit each)
- Week-long workshops/ camps (2 credits each)
- Two-week or longer activities or programs (2 credits each)
- Volunteer work/Service Learning (1 credit per project)
- Shared Learning or Service Learning Project (2 credits each)
- Extended Field Experiences/ Internships (2 credits each)
- Major/Career Counseling (1 credit each year)
* Students may also submit their own ideas for learning experiences. These must be approved by the Director of the program.
Portfolio/ Capstone Presentation: Students are required to maintain a portfolio detailing the extracurricular activities they participate in each year. In the third year of the program, students will be required to give a capstone presentation at the year-end reception. (Capstone presentation is 1 credit.)