IGNITE Civics and Law is available to 10-12th grade students who are interested in pursuing careers in government, law, civil service, civic leadership, or other related fields. Students will be exposed to high-quality, specialized learning and internship experiences through Lipscomb University and community partners in addition to curriculum offerings both at the high school and university levels that are closely related to these fields.
To be considered for admittance, students must fill out an application, submit a reference form from a current teacher, and have at least a 3.0 average.
- Students must accumulate 10 credits of learning experiences during their time in IGNITE.
- During the year-long program, students must have at least 5 different learning experiences.
- Students must maintain a portfolio of their learning experiences and give a capstone presentation.
These may include but are not limited to the following areas:*
- Seminars, lectures, films, visits (1 credit each)
- 1 day shadowing experiences (1 credit each)
- ½ day workshops/ training (1 credit each)
- Day-long field-trips or workshops (2 credits each)
- Week-long workshops/ camps (2 credits each)
- Two-week or longer activities or programs (2 credits each)
- Volunteer work (1 credit per project)
- Extended Field Experiences/ Internships (2 credits each)
- Shared learning or service learning projects (2 credits each)
- Major/ Career Counseling (1 credit)
* Students may also submit their own ideas for learning experiences. These must be approved by the Director of the program.
Portfolio/ Capstone Presentation: Students are required to maintain a portfolio detailing the extracurricular activities they participate in each year. In the third year of the program, students will be required to give a capstone presentation at the year-end reception. (Capstone presentation is 1 credit.)