While as a faith-based university, we’re less concerned about numbers than people, sometimes all you need is just the facts. Here are few basics we think are pretty helpful.
Who We Are
Lipscomb University is a Christian institution that is joyfully and energetically committed to creating students whose academic excellence, faith and practice, and community service reflect our ideals of global citizenship. We believe that knowing what grows us is also what grounds us.
Founded in 1891 by David Lipscomb and James A. Harding as Nashville Bible School, Lipscomb University is affiliated with the Churches of Christ.
The residential campus is located in the Green Hills area of Nashville, Tenn. There are three off-campus program opportunities (Murfreesboro, Cool Springs, Sumner County).
Student Body Profile
Religious Preferences Represented: 30
States Represented (including Washington, D.C.): 47
Nations Represented: 40
Ethnic Minority Students: 839 (18%)
Increase in Minority Enrollment (since 2005): 263%
Tuition & Faculty
Block rate for 12-18 hours each fall and spring semester 2013-14: $24,234
Full-time equivalent faculty: 293
Student/Faculty Ratio: 13 to 1
Lipscomb’s men’s and women’s sports teams compete in NCAA’s Division I, Atlantic Sun Conference, which includes universities from Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and Florida.
Awards & Recognitions
- Ranked among the top 20 regional master's universities in the South, according to the U.S. News and World Report’s “2014 America’s Best Colleges” guidebook.
- Ranked as one of the top five regional universities in the South whose students graduate with the least debt.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching selected Lipscomb as one of 196 colleges and universities nationwide to earn its 2010 Community Engagement Classification. This classification places Lipscomb among the top 311 (or almost 8 percent) of universities in the nation.
- Lipscomb has been listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Honor Roll, recognizing institutions that achieve meaningful, measurable outcomes in the communities they serve, for five of the past six years. The university was listed on the Honor Roll with Distinction in 2009.
- Selected as one of the country’s most environmentally responsible colleges to be included in the 2013 “The Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges.”
- The Lipscomb University College of Education’s secondary teacher preparation program was named one of the top four in the nation in the 2013 National Council of Teacher Quality’s Teacher Prep Review. The program received the highest ranking in the review: a four-star designation. The NCTQ Teacher Prep Review evaluated more than 1,100 colleges and universities across the country that prepare elementary and secondary teachers.
- Lipscomb has been listed as one of G.I. Job’s Military Friendly Schools for four straight years and one of Military Times’ Top 25 Best for Vets Business Schools in 2013.
Academic accreditations and memberships
Lipscomb University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lipscomb University.
Lipscomb University was reaffirmed in 2007 and found to be in compliance with all 85 standards.
Arts & Sciences
Chemistry—American Chemical Society (ACS)
Music—National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Sociology & Social Work—Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
Bible & Ministry
Hazelip School of Theology—Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), includes an additional accreditation in accounting
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB member)
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
Tennessee State Board of Education (TNSBE)
Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Pharmacy—Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
Nutrition—Didactic Program & Internship in Dietetics
American Dietetics Association (ADA)
Kinesiology—Athletic Training Program
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
Nursing—National League for Nursing (NLN)
Electrical and Computing Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.