As a team leader, your team members will look to you for guidance on how to raise money, who to consider, how to monitor what's coming in, any many other facets of the fundraising process. This section is designed to provide an overview of all fundraising related topics. Most team members on our mission trips raise funds through writing letters. To download a powerpoint presentation including this information and more to share with your team, click here.
Deposits are $100 (trips w/o plane tickets) or $150 (trips w/ plane tickets). They are non-refundable and to be paid by the participant or their immediate family. Deposits are required to be paid within 7 days of completion of registration. The money covers the following:
- Deposit on individual plane tickets
- Missions fee (travel/health insurance, team leader subsidy, business reply envelopes, other administrative costs)
Where To Start
It is important to understand the fundraising process before beginning. Team members are not just asking people to give them money so they can travel somewhere; they are inviting others to be a part of your ministry. Mission trip fundraising is as much of a spiritual process as it is a fiscal one. Review the following resources for more insight:
► The Spirituality of Fundraising (Henri Nouwen commentary)
► GoCorps' Ministry Partner Development Manual
► SVM2 Abandoned Times: Support Raising
Prior to writing a single letter, come up with a list of at least 40 contacts to whom the letters will be sent. Brainstorm different categories of people (family, friends, churches, local contacts, etc) and then add people within each category. Seek assistance from others (family members) in coming up with potential ministry partners (donors).
When you begin to write, be sure to personalize each letter. Include the following information:
- Trip description, purpose, and details
- Request prayer on behalf of trip
- Cost (individual and team totals, itemized breakdown of expenses
- How to donate
- Personal contact info (phone, email, mailing address
- Business reply envelope - Place one of these in an envelope with each letter you send; can be found in the Missions Center or Ezell 220. These allow potential donors to mail in their donations without having to pay for postage.
How To Donate
In the section above it was stated that letters should include instructions on how to donate to a team member's mission trip. There are 2 options:
- Check: Checks are to be made payable to Lipscomb University. In the memo line, donors are to include the participant's name and trip name. Place the check in the business reply envelope (postage already paid).
- Credit Card (Online): Visit missions.lipscomb.edu. Click the Give to a Mission Trip button and complete the form through our secure server.
*All donations are tax-deductible, and donors will receive a tax receipt in the mail from the university.
Team members can check their progress at any time. We provide daily updates to each team's financial roster. To access your team's financial roster, visit missions.lipscomb.edu. Click on the Track Your Fundraising button. You will be prompted to enter a user name and password; both are missions12. Select your team from the list of all teams, which opens a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (note: if you do not have Microsoft Office software on your computer, you will not be able to view the financial rosters). The sheet will include each team member's total, the team total, and other information. At the bottom, each team member has a tab that can be viewed in order to see who donated to them.
It is important for team members to maintain communication with their donors. Since they are now a part of your ministry, it is vital to keep them informed. Create a blog, provide periodical updates via phone or email, send thank you notes, and contact your partners following the trip to keep them informed and actively involved in your ministry. This is the most effective way to maintain support for extended periods of time.
Lipscomb University Missions Program
One University Park Drive Nashville, Tennessee 37204-3951
email@example.com | 615.966.6049 | Ezell 238